Question Why does my monitor say out of range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theaman13

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I just built a new pc, and have not yet installed windows. With my old gpu(r9 380) I can see the bios, however my new gpu (rx 5700) i only see "out of range" on my monitor. Can this be fixed in the bios somehow or do i need to install windows with my old gpu first. In either instance how should I go about solving this?
Mobo: b450 tomahawk max
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x

sibsibsib

Prominent
Dec 16, 2019
I just built a new pc, and have not yet installed windows. With my old gpu(r9 380) I can see the bios, however my new gpu (rx 5700) i only see "out of range" on my monitor. Can this be fixed in the bios somehow or do i need to install windows with my old gpu first. In either instance how should I go about solving this?
Mobo: b450 tomahawk max
Cpu: ryzen 5 3600x
I have a similar issue with my Gigabyte 5700XT and ASUS VX24AH monitor, and a Gigabyte X570 motherboard. I have also tried a Benq monitor and it has the same problem. Mine is out of range until the windows log on screen appears. I can't see my BIOS screen or my bitlocker password entry screen. I have to enter my password blindly to be able to load windows. I have contacted Gigabyte support and after 2 weeks when they finally replied their reply was useless "send it back to your supplier for further analysis". It seems that the graphics card can't drive a monitor through the HDMI cable until windows loads. I have plugged in my son's AOC monitor that has a display port connection and it works fine. I can see my BIOS and bitlocker screens as normal with that. Unfortunately my ASUS monitor doesn't have display port, only HDMI. . My old graphics card works fine through HDMI. It's a problem with the 5700 series graphics cards. Gigabyte doesn't want to know about it. How about other manufacturers?

Status
Not open for further replies.