[SOLVED] Why does my monitor suddenly turn black and my pc "kinda" shuts down afterwards ?

LighttKun

Prominent
Jul 13, 2019
The fans and leds are all still on but the pc is unresponsive. I check with numlock on the keyboard so I know it's unresponsive. It happens when I'm playing games. A force restart solves it but I'd rather not have it go like that.

My PC specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Team Elite 2400 mhz 8 gb RAM
b450m ds3h Motherboard
Seasonic 520w 80+ bronze PSU
WD Green SATA III 240 gb SSD
1 TB Hard Drive WD

Solution
I suspect PSU or GPU. It can be other things but those are the more probable ones.

Is there a way to test the GPU in another system? A friend's maybe? Otherwise another GPU or PSU to your system.

How long do you have them in your system? Was the GPU bought new or used?

You should also make sure that you have the latest bios, chipset drivers , windows updates and use DDU to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.
I suspect PSU or GPU. It can be other things but those are the more probable ones.

Is there a way to test the GPU in another system? A friend's maybe? Otherwise another GPU or PSU to your system.

You should also make sure that you have the latest bios, chipset drivers , windows updates and use DDU to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.

Solution

LighttKun

Prominent
Jul 13, 2019

GPU was bought new around 2019 i think. I do have the latest drivers, updates and such. I also did DDU and reinstall. Sadly I can't test on other system right now. Thank you.

Check temperatures for cpu and gpu idle and while gaming. Also check the 12v, 5v and 3,3v rails idle and while under load with the HWInfo64 sensors mode. If the 12v especially drops below 11,5v the PSU may be at fault.

You didn't answer how old the PSU is. Although a great maker, Seasonic has the s12 ii as their lowest quality and it might be the issue. But GPU can also be at fault. That's why I suggested to try in another system.

LighttKun

Prominent
Jul 13, 2019
Check temperatures for cpu and gpu idle and while gaming. Also check the 12v, 5v and 3,3v rails idle and while under load with the HWInfo64 sensors mode. If the 12v especially drops below 11,5v the PSU may be at fault.

You didn't answer how old the PSU is. Although a great maker, Seasonic has the s12 ii as their lowest quality and it might be the issue. But GPU can also be at fault. That's why I suggested to try in another system.
Ok, I will try monitoring. The PSU btw is same age as my GPU. Thank you.
Edit: I tried checking temps and looks fine. CPU doesn't go over 70 degrees celsius. GPU doesn't go over 80 degrees celsius.