Question Why does my motherboard refuse to boot with 2 sticks of ram?

Apr 2, 2020
I have build a PC last year and it started crashing out of nowhere this month. I cant boot my PC with 2 sticks of RAM anymore since yesterday. Only with 1. I tested both ram sticks in slot A2 and they both worked. So individually they work fine. I also tested slot B2 since that one might not work properly. But it could boot aswell in slot B2. So my question is why cant it boot when i put both ram sticks in. I tried booting the pc with XMP profile on, but then it even crashed with 1 stick of ram. So I put my motherboard back in the default settings. What should I do to fix this problem?

PC:

Motherboard: ASROCK Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
RAM: Corsair vengeance RGB Pro CMW16GX4M2C3000C15
SSD: Crucial P1 500GB
GPU: 1660 TI Gigabyte Gaming OC
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 Full Modular PSU

I wanted to update the bios but i get very confused on how to do so. And there is a lot of warnings on ASRocks website.

Thanks in advance

Apr 2, 2020
image0.jpg

I have build a PC last year and it started crashing out of nowhere this month. I cant boot my PC with 2 sticks of RAM anymore since yesterday. Only with 1. I tested both ram sticks in slot A2 and they both worked. So individually they work fine. I also tested slot B2 since that one might not work properly. But it could boot aswell in slot B2. So my question is why cant it boot when i put both ram sticks in. I tried booting the pc with XMP profile on, but then it even crashed with 1 stick of ram. So I put my motherboard back in the default settings. What should I do to fix this problem?

PC:

Motherboard: ASROCK Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600
GPU: 1660 TI Gigabyte Gaming OC
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 Full Modular PSU

I wanted to update the bios but i get very confused on how to do so. And there is a lot of warnings on ASRocks website.

Thanks in advance
I'm assuming you have the DIMM's correctly installed...in the 2nd and 4th sockets going away from the CPU.

Very often board's won't boot on XMP unless you manually enter the timings and voltage. That's been the case with all of my motherboards.

So I'd suggest setting the timings manually (15-17-17-17-35?) for your RAM, then ALSO set DRAM voltage to 1.35V, probably what yours is rated for. Then boot, then reboot and set XMP.

It just crashed twice while plugging my phone into my PC.

I've used the windows memory diagnostics tool and i had no issues. But while testing the RAM right after a crash I got this:

unknown.png
First thing is to ignore User Benchmark. It's hopelessly compromised. And it's perfectly normal for latency to be much, much, much higher as block sizes move beyond what can be handled inside the processor caches. So the curve shape is about as expected.

Second is, plugging in a USB stick brings on a crash suggests something much more basic with your Windows installation. Have you run a scandisk from command prompt with admin rights? SFC/SCANNOW from command prompt with admin rights?

Complete scan with Defender? And also acan with MalwareBytes? Really, just do it with at least two as they work in different ways and one catches what the other might miss.

I'd also suggest resetting CMOS to all-defaults to see if the problems persist.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
First thing is to ignore User Benchmark. It's hopelessly compromised.

Second is, plugging in a USB stick brings on a crash suggests something much more basic with your Windows installation. Have you run a scandisk from command prompt with admin rights? SFC/SCANNOW from command prompt with admin rights?

Complete scan with Defender? And also acan with MalwareBytes? Really, just do it with at least two as they work in different ways and one catches what the other might miss.

I'd also suggest resetting CMOS to all-defaults to see if the problems persist.

I did the SFC /scannow command and it found nothing.

I also did a complete windows defender scan a few days ago. And it found a trojan. But the problems got even worse since then. So I dont think that really helped.

Offline scan
And the complete regular scan

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
I'm assuming you have the DIMM's correctly installed...in the 2nd and 4th sockets going away from the CPU.

Very often board's won't boot on XMP unless you manually enter the timings and voltage. That's been the case with all of my motherboards.

So I'd suggest setting the timings manually (15-17-17-17-35?) for your RAM, then ALSO set DRAM voltage to 1.35V, probably what yours is rated for. Then boot, then reboot and set XMP.

When I load the xmp profile the timings are loaded correctly aswell. Just checked 15-17-17-17-35

I also did a complete windows defender scan a few days ago. And it found a trojan....
If the trojan left something that Defender couldn't get completely then it wouldn't help. I'd reboot into safe mode, networked, then go get the free version of Malwarebytes , right now, and do a safe mode full system scan.

Odds are, if you're like most people, you never enabled UEFI mode booting and turned on Secure Boot. So that left your system open to a root kit exploit, and that's what Trojans very commonly plant.

When I load the xmp profile the timings are loaded correctly aswell. Just checked 15-17-17-17-35
Just ignore that for now... simply reset CMOS to all defaults in fact until you can get USB sticks to not crash windows. That's also something some rootkits might do to keep you from using an external cleaning utility from a write protected drive.

If running MalwareBytes from safemode AND a CMOS reset doesn't fix your system and let you insert USB sticks, then you might need to take this to another forum and ask for help there. You have to fix that first as you're system is possibly compromised with a rootkit. Be sure to tell them Defender found a trojan...if you know what the particular trojan was it might help.

Apr 2, 2020
If the trojan left something that Defender couldn't get completely then it wouldn't help. I'd reboot into safe mode, networked, then go get the free version of Malwarebytes , right now, and do a safe mode full system scan.

Odds are, if you're like most people, you never enabled UEFI mode booting and turned on Secure Boot. So that left your system open to a root kit exploit, and that's what Trojans very commonly plant.
Just ignore that for now... simply reset CMOS to all defaults in fact until you can get USB sticks to not crash windows. That's also something some rootkits might do to keep you from using an external cleaning utility from a write protected drive.

If running MalwareBytes from safemode AND a CMOS reset doesn't fix your system and let you insert USB sticks, then you might need to take this to another forum and ask for help there. You have to fix that first as you're system is possibly compromised with a rootkit. Be sure to tell them Defender found a trojan...if you know what the particular trojan was it might help.
I did all the scans and i found nothing.

The trojan i found a few days ago was:

Win32/Fuery.B!cl

I did all the scans and i found nothing.

The trojan i found a few days ago was:

Win32/Fuery.B!cl
I can still enter my bios and pressed F9 to reset to factory settings. But that doesnt help either.
If you did this:

Then hopefully that assures you nothing was planted and is waiting for something else to come along. But I really do not know that much about this, you would be best off to go to a Windows 10 forum and ask specifically about that trojan.

If you've reset BIOS to all defaults, now go in and find how to enable UEFI mode, it may be something like DISABLE compatibility mode or ENABLE Windows Enhanced operation or something like that. Then reboot, go back in BIOS immediately and turn on Secure Boot. Just loading the standard or default keys are OK. Now you'll be safe against root-kit exploits, assuming this isn't just closing the hole in the chicken coop fence with the fox already inside.

Apr 2, 2020
Hello,

I've been having issues with my self build pc and I dont know what is happening. The problem got worse and worse, so I will write down what has been happening since I've build it.

1. The pc worked fine for over a year. (except 3 blue screen but after setting motherboard to default settings everything worked fine)
  2. Overclocked CPU a little bit from 3,4ghz with 3,9ghz boost to 3.9 ghz and put ram on its rated speed 3000mhz. (2 months ago)
  3. The pc randomly started crashing without bluescreen. So I've removed the overclocks and put the ram in 2133 mhz and the cpu in auto (started 1 month ago)
  4. It kept crashing, but after crashing it was way more likely to crash right after starting up within a very short amount of time. 5minutes to an hour (started last week)
  5. A few days later, each time it crashed I couldn't boot it up for a certain ammount of time. And had to wait a while before being able to boot it up. (started this week)
  6. Then it just wouldnt boot up at all. I tried everything. The only way to boot it up is using 1 ram stick instead of the 2. (started yesterday)

Things I tested:
-booting the pc with 1 ram stick. (Both ram sticks made my PC boot in all slots except A1 since the cooler is in the way)
-booting the PC with 2 ram sticks in A2 B2 (didnt work) Booting the pc with 2 ram sticks in A2 B1 (didnt work) Booting the pc with ramsticks in B1 B2 (didnt work either)

1. After using the PC for a while, with 1 ram stick ofcourse, I tried to plug my phone in my pc. My pc crashed right away after trying to connect my phone. (started today)
  2. I tried to reinstall windows completely (with losing data) and after 60% it stopped and just rebooted into my pc without any changes, I just booted back in my PC with all games files and documents still on it. (today)

Things I have tested.

CPU: By using Cinebench (worked fine)

GPU: By using heavenbenchmark (worked fine)

PSU: By watching the data I received from CPUID (Its Stable at 12,2 volts so its fine)

SSD: Doesnt seem to have issues and i think its fine???

Motherboard: entered the bios and set
  • uefi defaults after this i still coudnt use 2 ram sticks.
  • XMP profile and i still coudnt use 2 rams sticks.

Ram: tested by using the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. It didnt find errors on both ram sticks. (yet i think the problem is the ram)

Windows 10:
-sfc /scannow didnt find anything
-Tried to reset windows but didnt work
-Did virus scans and found Win32/Fuery.B!cl

Notice:
-The pc worked fine for over a year and it started happening all of a sudden.
-Temperatures in my case are really low.
-I have been mildly overclocking my CPU for less then a month from 3,4 GHZ with a 3,9 TurGHZ to 3,9 GHZ (and reset it right after the first crashes)
-Ive been using my ram on 2133 mhz but recently put them on their rated speed 3000mhz (but immediately put them back on 2133 after the first crashes)
-All components are just over a year old.

PC specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 TI Gaming OC
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 full modular
CASE: NZXT H500

So what do you guys think?

Is my RAM faulty?
My cpu?
My motherboard?
Or my Operating system?

If someone can fix this problem for me I would be very thankfull. I've tried everything I could and I have no idea what to do right now.\

Thanks in advance,

Goog

Crucial P1 is an NVMe drive. I would recommend Disabling the CSM Compatibility Support Module or doing a UEFI Only type of BIOS setup. Whatever ASROCK uses.
That is the only BIOS change.

The M.2 drive is the only drive connected during Windows 10 install.

You need Windows 10 bootable UEFI flash drive installation media.
  1. have a flash drive available
  2. go over to Microsoft and download latest Windows 10 ISO
Use 1+2 with Rufus program to make your installation media.

Boot up the flash drive and remove all partitions from M.2 and install to the empty M.2 drive. Windows will make the partitions it needs and you can let it install.

Apr 2, 2020
Crucial P1 is an NVMe drive. I would recommend Disabling the CSM Compatibility Support Module

If I do this I cant enter windows anymore?

Isnt a system recovery safer and easier? And would this fix my issue with the ram not working ones i put both sticks in? And Why cant I connect my phone to my pc with a usb cable?

Apr 2, 2020
stick with 1 thread
I've been using my pc without issues for over a year.

This month trouble came.

This is what is happening:

1. I cant boot my pc with 2 ram sticks. With xmp profile on it cant boot at all doesnt matter what slots i try.
  2. I can only booth with both ram-sticks with xmp profile disabled and speed set on 2133Mhz. BUT only in slot 3/4 BUT when i plug my phone into my pc it crashes right away.
  3. both ram sticks work individually in every slot (except slot 1 cuz my cooler is in the way)
Things I already did:

1. Completely reinstall windows
  2. Update the bios
Mobo: asrock b450 fatal1ty gaming k4 (bios 3.40)
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
RAM: CMW16GX4M2C3000C15 (corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000 mhz)
GPU: Gigabyte 1660 TI Gaming OC
SSD: Crucial P1 500 gb
PSU: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 WATT

(All components have been used for about 13 months)