Why does my mouse drag?

Hello
I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my mouse
doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it stops -
I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it again ---
I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty
-- any other suggestions?

It isn't the ball that gets dirty, it's the wheels inside
that collect crud. Remove the ball and look inside,
there are usually 2 wheels. In extreme cases you
may need to open the mouse to clean them.

"Dan and Margaret MacLerran" <dmmac@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently
> my mouse
> doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it
> stops -
> I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it
> again ---
> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to
> be dirty
> -- any other suggestions?

BigJim

is it an optical mouse with a little red light on the bottom.

"Dan and Margaret MacLerran" <dmmac@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my mouse
> doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it stops -
> I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it again ---
> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty
> -- any other suggestions?

Craig

"BigJim" <woody10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> is it an optical mouse with a little red light on the bottom.
>
> "Dan and Margaret MacLerran" <dmmac@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> Hello
>> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my mouse
>> doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it stops -
>> I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it again ---
>> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty
>> -- any other suggestions?

Optical mice do not have balls in them.

">> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty"

Craig

> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my mouse
> doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it stops -
> I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it again ---
> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty

I recently saw this type of behaviour on a machine with spyware (it was
a new one on me) - the mouse would "shuffle" itself to the left by
several pixels every few minutes - and stop again within about half a
second. Might be worth a good scan !

dmmac@webtv.net (Dan and Margaret MacLerran) wrote in

> Hello
> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my
> mouse doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right
> -- it stops - I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try
> to drag it again --- I've inspected the ball on the bottom and
> it doesn't appear to be dirty -- any other suggestions?

Dirt on the mouse's ball isn't usually the problem, it is dirt on the
rollers that the ball drives.

Undo the bottom plate to release the ball and remove it. NB the
bottom plate is sometimes a LH thread.
Check the rollers up inside the mouse for dirt and use a probe to
remove same.

McSpreader wrote:
> dmmac@webtv.net (Dan and Margaret MacLerran) wrote in
>

>>Hello
>>I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my
>>mouse doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right
>>-- it stops - I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try
>>to drag it again --- I've inspected the ball on the bottom and
>>it doesn't appear to be dirty -- any other suggestions?
>>

> Dirt on the mouse's ball isn't usually the problem, it is dirt on the
> rollers that the ball drives.
>
> Undo the bottom plate to release the ball and remove it. NB the
> bottom plate is sometimes a LH thread.
> Check the rollers up inside the mouse for dirt and use a probe to
> remove same.
I have a wireless optical mouse that just started acting up...changed
the batteries....and still sluggish...any suggestions for me?

Dan and Margaret MacLerran wrote:
> Hello
> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my mouse
> doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it stops -
> I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it again ---
> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty
> -- any other suggestions?

buy an optical mouse.

I had the same problem with the Dell mouse even though I did not have
any problems with the Compaq mouse on my Compaq PC. An Optical mouse
has worked great for me. I bought a Logitech Black Optical Mouse which
is a cheap mouse but it works great.

bstern wrote:
> McSpreader wrote:
>
>> dmmac@webtv.net (Dan and Margaret MacLerran) wrote in
>>
>>> Hello
>>> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my
>>> mouse doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right
>>> -- it stops - I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try
>>> to drag it again --- I've inspected the ball on the bottom and
>>> it doesn't appear to be dirty -- any other suggestions?
>>>

>> Dirt on the mouse's ball isn't usually the problem, it is dirt on the
>> rollers that the ball drives.
>>
>> Undo the bottom plate to release the ball and remove it. NB the bottom
>> plate is sometimes a LH thread.
>> Check the rollers up inside the mouse for dirt and use a probe to
>> remove same.
>
> I have a wireless optical mouse that just started acting up...changed
> the batteries....and still sluggish...any suggestions for me?
check for spyware

bstern <bstern@rochester.rr.com> wrote in

> McSpreader wrote:
>> dmmac@webtv.net (Dan and Margaret MacLerran) wrote in
>>

>>>Hello
>>>I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently
>>>my mouse doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to
>>>right -- it stops - I have to pick up the mouse, set it down
>>>and try to drag it again --- I've inspected the ball on the
>>>bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty -- any other
>>>suggestions?
>>>

>> Dirt on the mouse's ball isn't usually the problem, it is dirt
>> on the rollers that the ball drives.
>>
>> Undo the bottom plate to release the ball and remove it. NB the
>> bottom plate is sometimes a LH thread.
>> Check the rollers up inside the mouse for dirt and use a probe
>> to remove same.
> I have a wireless optical mouse that just started acting
> up...changed the batteries....and still sluggish...any
> suggestions for me?

Swap it for a wired mouse as a test. If the problem goes away, the
wireless mouse is suspect - try reinstalling drivers.
Otherwise, check for a malware problems.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005, Dan and Margaret MacLerran wrote:

> Hello
> I have a new Dell 3000 (purchased in march) and just recently my mouse
> doesn't run smoothly -- Sometimes when I go left to right -- it stops -
> I have to pick up the mouse, set it down and try to drag it again ---
> I've inspected the ball on the bottom and it doesn't appear to be dirty
> -- any other suggestions?

Have u actually opened the mouse up, removed the ball and checked the
rollers that the ball rolls against. Any time my pointer has started
acting flakey I've had to open the mouse up and gently clean gunk off
those rollers inside. The gunk wouldn't be on the ball itself, but on the
rollers inside. I gently scrape the gunk off with a toothpick and once it
has been loosened I pick it out with tweezers if it doesn't fall out on
its own.

MB

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

> I have a wireless optical mouse that just started acting up...changed the
> batteries....and still sluggish...any suggestions for me?

Suggestions....
Try resetting the channel to the mouse (button on both mouse and wireless
adapter), may have locked on to a noisy channel.
Clean the optical window on the bottom of the mouse and check the settings
in your mouse program.

Dennis wrote:
>>I have a wireless optical mouse that just started acting up...changed the
>>batteries....and still sluggish...any suggestions for me?
>

> Suggestions....
> Try resetting the channel to the mouse (button on both mouse and wireless
> adapter), may have locked on to a noisy channel.
> Clean the optical window on the bottom of the mouse and check the settings
> in your mouse program.

thanks for all the suggestions....I'm off to try them out

Beth