Why Does My Netgear Extender Drop Connection?

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
I have a Motorola SBG6580 SURFboard® eXtreme Wireless Cable Modem/Router as my main router with a Laptop and printer wired into it then via Wi-Fi I have a Wii, 2 iPhones, 2 Tablets, a Roku, and an iPod Touch connected to it. Then I have a Netgear WN2000RPT Extender halfway through my house and via Wi-Fi I have a printer, Apple TV, 2 tablets, a laptop, and a smartphone connected to it. I used to have them set to two different ssids one was visible as the default name and the other was hidden with a name I had assigned, it worked perfect on the laptop but all other devices would work then stop working and not load anything I would have to disable then re-enable Wi-Fi on the device I was trying to connect to the internet with. So I gave the extender the same ssid and assigned the router to channel 11 and the extender automatically switched to the same channel as the router. My devices switched between the two based off which had the higher reception and detected it as one network like I wanted, but then it started dropping the connection again on the second day. So now I am back to square one. What could the problem be and how would I fix it? Thanks in advance for your help.

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion but every time that I do this it will work for 2 days or so then the problem will return.

androidguy

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I didn't mean to select this as my solution so please answer the following question on my new thread sorry, I am new to Tom's Hardware . Anyway how would I update it?