Why does my new computer crash? I'm here to learn.

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I recently built a new computer and I am using Windows XP SP3.

Here is the list of components:
Intel i3-2100 w/OEM heatsink and fan
MSI PH67S-C43
PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Western Digital SATA 6gb 500gb
Asus DVD re-writable drive
Corsair CX500
Radeon HD 6770 1gb DDR5

Now the issue. Was getting blue screens and now it just shuts down and reboots at random times. I can play video games and it has not crashed during those at all, but it will crash when doing defrag, using mozilla, right after boot up, and sometimes just sitting there.

Any ideas? I can follow directions if you have advice for checking components. I ran memtest86 and each DIMM checks fine after 18 passes.

I have also tried using Windows 7 64 bit and it gave me BSODs even faster than with XP.

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Windows XP 32 only recognizes 2.99gb but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

I couldn't figure out how to check memory voltage. Would it be under "over-clocking"? I can write down anything that is under question...just ask.

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
I seem to have less issues with crashes when I change the CPU voltage from 1.136 to 1.140 (I read about doing this somewhere and not sure why I've done it or why it might possibly have helped). Any ideas why?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
It could be numerous things. Run ChkDsk prior to start up. Make sure your bios is updated. Double check vid card drivers for the latest version. Try running with just 2GB's (or 4 if 4GB modules) and see if that helps. Try default keyboard drivers for awhile if you have a gaming keyboard. Update firmware on optical drives.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Run it the CPU at default settings, that's an obvious one. If it doesn't run at its rated, it won't run under an OC.

I would also check your PSU, it almost sounds like a PSU error. You need a tester. They're cheap.

pretty much what I was thinking too .
VERY unlikely to be the mb or psu

The OP needs to go back in to BIOS and find the page with memory frequency, timings and voltage

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

I don't remember how to initiate check disk. I should be able to look this up online though.

I also don't know how to check to see if the Bios needs to be updated or how to update it. Any links I could read to learn?

I have run with 4gb only and it still does it.

Standard PS2 keyboard and optical mouse. How do I update firmware?

I have been running it at default settings, I don't care to OC anything. I changed the voltage because I read somewhere that it might prevent the crashes.

I ran this PS on my last setup and had no issues. It was an AMD 64 3200+, 1gb of PC2700, Asus K8V-SE Deluxe, and Radeon X1300. So do you think it's possible it's still bad?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Your default CPU voltages should be fine. In fact, go into bios settings and go ahead and just set back to default. The issue is 99% likely to be elsewhere.

ChkDsk is run via the Windows Installation disk in the recovery option. You have to use the command prompt and type chkdsk /r

It can take hours, mostly depending on size of disk.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011

I had my old rig's MoBo go bad, same issues. Was going off of personal experience. Still using the same ram i originally had in it. Also, just because the RAM isn't listed on the "compatibility" list, doesn't mean it wont function fully with the MoBo. Again, personal experience was the source for my response. I apologize for giving wrong information, im still learning too.

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

It's likely that not all the compatible memory is on that list, but since I had just bought all this stuff I figured now is the best time to remove memory from the "possible issues" list.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007

Compatible memory lists are only memory that is guaranteed to work which the motherboard maker has tested. It is certainly not even close to being all inclusive. About any memory modules that are within JEDEC spec should do. The biggest thing to watch for is ECC vs Non-ECC. Don't buy ECC for most boards. There is also software and hardware (built into the memory modules) ECC. It can get confusing.

http://www.jedec.org/about-jedec/member-list

Something interesting perhaps?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007

Then you've pretty much eliminated most boot sector errors. Good work. :) Its likely a hardware issue then. I would guess that it could be your northbridge overheating. Your mobos Intel H67 cooler looks pretty weak. I've had similar issues on a board before, and once I replaced the OEM heatsink the system worked fine. Try putting a fan blowing directly on it, and/or using some AS5 and re-seating it. Make sure to use a credit card and scrape it smooth over the top of the chip before re-seating. Its not glued on with adhesive is it?

g-unit1111

Titan

That's the problem - you're running an i3-2100. Unless it's an Intel CPU with a K next to the model number, it cant be overclocked or even remotely messed with. Reset your motherboard to default settings in the BIOS and run a system restore, that should fix it.

I'm actually surprised your motherboard didn't report overclocking errors when you start it up.

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

I have checked the CPU temp on reboot (in bios) and it stays under 50c; is that ok? I am using AS 5. The chip was clean and I don't know what you mean by adhesive but as far as I know it doesn't have any on it.

What is the "mobos Intel H67 cooler"?

schmiddr2

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011

It actually seems to have less issues at this voltage. Hasn't crashed since I changed it to 1.140V.

In the bios it says do not set the voltage above 1.140V.

The reason I did this is that I read somewhere that it helped someone else with a similar setup. Not sure why they did it or why it helped, but it seems to work.

Any ideas why?

I read through the thread and didn't see that the OP posted his PSU specs.

OP, if you didn't, could you please do so?

You could have the Dodge Viper of Video Cards and Processors and if you have a Dodge Neon engine in it you won't be going 0 to 60 in 4 seconds.