Why does my new monitor looks better on AMD than Nvidia?

nhguapo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
So I bought two new Dell s2415's today. I hooked them both up via HDMI - one to a Win 7 PC with a 7970 and the other a Win 8.1 PC with a 770. Hands down, the 7970 looks much better. The colors are brighter and sharper. There is more clarity. I swapped monitors and was relieved to see that both look better on the 7970 machine and I didn't just get a dud. Can anyone explain why the picture looks so much better on the older platform and older gpu? Is there anything I can do on the Nvidia side that will improve the picture? I installed the newest driver tonight from Nvidia.

nhguapo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
So I came up with an answer for anyone else that's noticed similar issues.

It looks like the problem was the HDMI connection through Nvidia cards. "For some reason, Nvidia cards default to Limited RGB (16-235 levels of differentiation per color) when using HDMI, despite a PC display's ability to support full RGB (0-255 colors).This driver issue has been affecting the HDMI output of Nvidia cards for years, and could be limiting your color range without you knowing it."

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-cards-dont-full-rgb-color-through-hdmiheres-a-fix/

In any event, the latest driver released on 12-23-14 was supposed to finally fix this after the problem went on for years. I ran a patch and then realized the new driver was released on the same day. The colors are better now and the monitor looks much better overall, however, I noticed the whites just aren't as white and things just aren't as crisp as they are on the AMD card. Maybe I'll have to do some calibration on the Nvidia still.

TRENDING THREADS