Question Why does my Nvidia MX150 Throttle at 139mHz when playing Fortnite?

Feb 16, 2019
Hi, I have a laptop with the following specs that is having a graphics card issue.
Intel Core i7 8550u
16GB Memory RAM
256GB SSD
1TB Hard Drive
Nvidia MX150 (4GB Dedicated Memory)

Everytime I start up Fortnite, the card is working perfectly. When I’m in the lobby, it runs at 1480mHz like it should. However, as soon as I jump into a game, it reduces to 139mHz and throttles itself there. Even when I go back to the lobby, it still throttles at 139mHz. This causes a drop from 60fps to 20fps. I run Fortnite at 720P resolution with low settings and now shadows. I used MSI Afterburner and tried to undervolt my CPU and nothing has been working. May somebody please provide me with a solution? My laptop manufacturer is HP.

Feb 16, 2019
GPU temps when the clocks drop?

Are you playing with the laptop plugged into power? If not make sure windows power options is set to balanced ad not low power.
I usually play with my AC adapter plugged in, and I have all my settings optimized for maximum preformance with my CPU undervolted. Should I change my power settings to balanced so I can get higher fps?

Dunlop0078

Polypheme
Herald
Well im not really sure why it is dropping clocks like that. No unplugging your PC will not increase performance, if anything it will decrease it if the laptop uses a low power profile when on battery power, most do stock.

Feb 16, 2019
Well im not really sure why it is dropping clocks like that. No unplugging your PC will not increase performance, if anything it will decrease it if the laptop uses a low power profile when on battery power, most do stock.
Ok so I went downstairs with my laptop, and the GPU worked perfctly plugged in, but terribly upstairs. How is this possible?