Question Why does my PC boot so slow?

Aug 8, 2022
Hi. This is my first post.
I've had my pc for a few years now and never had any speed or boot issues but recently I upgraded my motherboard from a gigabyte micro ATX to the msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac along with a Msi RTX 3060 trio and some KLEVV crass x 16gb of 3200mhz ram, but since the upgrades my pc takes around 1 minutes to boot to the desktop, I managed to reboot my laptop 5 times during the pc loading that's how long it took lol.
I've tired the obvious by going into system configuration etc to change the delay, I've also turned fast boot on in bios and turned on uefi mode in bios aswel.

Does anyone know what it could be? It seems fine once in OS and playing games etc. Also the longest part of the boot Is once the EDGE logo appears after pressing the power button there's a black screen for about 10-15 seconds then the edge logo appears.

Thanks for any replys 👍

Hi. This is my first post.
I've had my pc for a few years now and never had any speed or boot issues but recently I upgraded my motherboard from a gigabyte micro ATX to the msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac along with a Msi RTX 3060 trio and some KLEVV crass x 16gb of 3200mhz ram, but since the upgrades my pc takes around 1 minutes to boot to the desktop, I managed to reboot my laptop 5 times during the pc loading that's how long it took lol.
I've tired the obvious by going into system configuration etc to change the delay, I've also turned fast boot on in bios and turned on uefi mode in bios aswel.

Does anyone know what it could be? It seems fine once in OS and playing games etc. Also the longest part of the boot Is once the EDGE logo appears after pressing the power button there's a black screen for about 10-15 seconds then the edge logo appears.

Thanks for any replys 👍
Proper bios?

Did you reinstall windows?

D

Deleted member 14196

Go into the BIOS and put it into verbose mode so that you see everything it’s doing when it’s booting. And that way you should be able to see where it hangs up

Reactions: Ralston18
The motherboard will likely have a series of led's to indicate what it is initializing. My guess is ram.
Such a delay is often from the motherboard bios not liking the specified ram settings and trying to find a ram setting that works.
Try setting the ram to default.
Or, try your old ram in the system.

FWIW, I find it easy to use sleep to ram instead and hardly ever do a new boot.
Sleep/wake is only a few seconds.

Aug 8, 2022
The motherboard will likely have a series of led's to indicate what it is initializing. My guess is ram.
Such a delay is often from the motherboard bios not liking the specified ram settings and trying to find a ram setting that works.
Try setting the ram to default.
Or, try your old ram in the system.

FWIW, I find it easy to use sleep to ram instead and hardly ever do a new boot.
Sleep/wake is only a few seconds.
Thanks for the info I've already tried my old ram also I've enabled no memory training but doesn't make a difference, I'll remove all my other drives next and see if that's the problem I'll keep you updated. Thanks 👍

What did you hope to gain by changing motherboards?

As a basic check
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

Aug 8, 2022
One thing that can slow down boot time is a slow DHCP server on your network. How is the PC connected to your network ? What network hardware do you have ?
I'm just using the standard AC WiFi on the board, my network isn't the best but it does the job fine for gaming etc.. I also forgot to mention I upgraded my PSU to a MSI modular 950w and it made no difference my old psu was a 550w bronze. I think it might be one of those things I just have to live with but something doesn't seem right lol.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm just using the standard AC WiFi on the board, my network isn't the best but it does the job fine for gaming etc.. I also forgot to mention I upgraded my PSU to a MSI modular 950w and it made no difference my old psu was a 550w bronze. I think it might be one of those things I just have to live with but something doesn't seem right lol.
How much of the 1 min is before the windows spinning balls starts and how much after ?

Aug 8, 2022
Hi. I've just gone into the bios and turned memory training to auto then saved and rebooted, it gave me an error saving load setup and something was set to default, once I turned memory training to no training it booted, there's also an EZ debug light on the DRAM led and I've only just noticed it lol I'm just installing the memory test now to see if there's any errors. This has me worried now

Aug 8, 2022
I've ran the test for the ram and it passed with no errors. I think the reason why the pc didn't boot when I changed the memory training to auto is becuase I have XMP profile enabled as soon as I disabled it the pc booted.
Also the DRAM led that came up was before post and was when I pressed the power button. After the DRAM led came up the VGA led came on for a split second.

Just a quick question will having my main C drive compressed to save space impact the boot speed at all? Thanks 👍

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With ssd, fresh windows, no other startup programs, boot lasts @ 12 seconds from button push to open internet. And that includes the 3 second wait time for 'push DEL' to get into bios.

Once you start adding stuff like Antivirus, iCue, Cam, Adobe, or any other of a bunch of 'essential' day to day programs into startup, or start with windows, that time can easily stretch to 20-30 seconds.

There's 3 things should always do when switching motherboards.
  1. Reinstall fresh, clean Windows. Full install, not a refresh.
  2. Update the bios, especially concerning AMD, may have to do it in stages, with media files for A series APU's.
  3. Update the motherboard chipset drivers. Found in the same place as the bios, on motherboards download website.

In that order.

If boot is taking that long, you have a conflict somewhere, most often with network protocols. If you haven't updated Lan and Audio at least, or a package deal chipset drivers, then the Wi-Fi module won't have set drivers until Windows loads them, and Windows uses generic drivers, not motherboard chipset specific drivers. That can easily pause the boot process as the bios tries searching for drivers to enable the Wi-Fi module and when that fails and gets skipped , Windows then tries to apply generic drivers and test for functionality with different settings until it works.

Aug 8, 2022
With ssd, fresh windows, no other startup programs, boot lasts @ 12 seconds from button push to open internet. And that includes the 3 second wait time for 'push DEL' to get into bios.

Once you start adding stuff like Antivirus, iCue, Cam, Adobe, or any other of a bunch of 'essential' day to day programs into startup, or start with windows, that time can easily stretch to 20-30 seconds.

There's 3 things should always do when switching motherboards.
  1. Reinstall fresh, clean Windows. Full install, not a refresh.
  2. Update the bios, especially concerning AMD, may have to do it in stages, with media files for A series APU's.
  3. Update the motherboard chipset drivers. Found in the same place as the bios, on motherboards download website.
In that order.

If boot is taking that long, you have a conflict somewhere, most often with network protocols. If you haven't updated Lan and Audio at least, or a package deal chipset drivers, then the Wi-Fi module won't have set drivers until Windows loads them, and Windows uses generic drivers, not motherboard chipset specific drivers. That can easily pause the boot process as the bios tries searching for drivers to enable the Wi-Fi module and when that fails and gets skipped , Windows then tries to apply generic drivers and test for functionality with different settings until it works.
Thanks for the info, I've decompressed my C drive and it seems to load allot faster once past the windows logo, it's just the black screen now, also I have post beep enabled and when I press the power button the black screen occurs before the post beep once it's beeps everything is quicker