Question Why does my pc consistently restart when launching dolphin emulator

Oct 11, 2019
I use dolphin only to play ssbm. I play it all the time with no issues. When launching the iso, it restarted my pc. I tried twice more and it would restart my pc when launching the iso. On the third try my pc restarted and my fan turned into a jet engine for a few seconds. Any ideas on what the issue maybe? I'm clueless.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Starting any game immediately puts a hard load on the cpu and possibly also the GPU depending on the lag of image loading.
The result could be an instantaneous overload of the PSU, causing the PC to restart.

I would start looking for any bad/overheated pwr connector on the mb .
Then try a PSU swap.

Oct 11, 2019
Interestingly enough it is fixed. All that I have done was updated Windows. I've been using dolphin for a while now so I don't believe it could be a psu issue. But thanks a lot for the replies. I'm still a little spooked... Should I just mark this as solved?

Oct 11, 2019
Weird update to my problem. My pc once again restarted and one of my fans got really loud for a second, just like before. However instead of restarting as soon as I launch the iso from dolphin, it restarted as soon as I closed the dolphin program after playing my game normally. Once again very confused on what the issue maybe. It was working normally like it has for years, for the last 2 days.

Oct 11, 2019
It's really strange this is happening because it has worked for me properly for a very long time. I haven't really launched it back up over fear its damaging my pc every time it crashes my pc or overheating possibly. I'll post any updates.

Oct 11, 2019
Finally a little update. Haven't been gaming much due to work. But yesterday I went to launch black ops 3. Another game that I've played before with no issues. I launched the game and it took a while to get into the first menu. I clicked zombies and my pc instantly crashed and restarted. I tried once more like a dummy and my pc went into jet engine mode. I've checked my temps and I believe they are ok. I'm not sure if it still possibly could be a temp issue or something worse. I'll launch up dolphin and see what happens.

Oct 11, 2019
My pc has ran these games for a while like I have said a billion times. Are you thinking my psu could be bad and causing my pc to restart? I was on dolphin and it once again crashed. When I went to shutdown my pc after it rebooted it crashed once more so fast I couldn’t shut it down until it restarted again.

Oct 11, 2019
I have a corsair cx series cx430 430W. I have been using it for about5-6 years. I'll do the memtest86 later today and report back.

I have just finished the memtest and I got zero errors. Right before I did the memtest I was browsing the web and it crashed once more without even gaming. So the problem seems to be getting worse. Can't be overheating and it doesn't seem to be the RAM. Should I do another memtest just to be safe?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019
My pc hasn’t had any random restarts. But I have not really been gaming or using any intense programs. I’m certain it will if I try to do anything that needs some more resources.

Oct 11, 2019
I have a new issue to the matter. I had my pc in sleep mode for a short time. When I powered it back on, windows gave me an error screen. And it said probably due to faulty hardware.