Question Why does my PC crash when playing certain games?

Jan 14, 2021
Ok everyone so I built my pc a few years ago and have had very few issues with running games and programs. However, recently I have had crashing issues with many games, particularly Fortnite, rainbow 6, and Minecraft. The weird part is that I can get other, more graphically intensive games to work with no issues. Usually, I can get r6 to run but Fortnite and Minecraft will not run for more than 10 minutes without crashing with the message, “application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware.”

I went into the Fortnite debug logs and found 2 messages that occurred during the crash. One read “ERROR: network_service_instance_impl.cc(263) Network service crashed, restarting service” and “WARNING: gpu_process_host.cc(1230) The GPU process has crashed _ times.” After checking Windows reliability, at the time of each crash, I always receive a "Hardware error" event code 142 which reads "A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly."

I have just installed the newest Nvidia drivers (461.09) and now when the game crashes, I receive a bluescreen error, and my pc restarts, which didn't happen before, which makes me think the issue is driver related. I recently bought a new graphics card and power supply and the issue persisted. I have also tried many other common fixes to no avail such as reinstalling GPU drivers with DDU, verifying game files, reinstalling windows, updating BIOS, changing power settings, reinstalling the game on a different drive, scanning windows files, doing a memtest, updating ALL my drivers, etc. Does anyone know what these errors mean and how I may find a solution? Any input is welcome as I am very desperate here and have been searching for a solution for months.

It is also worth mentioning that I recently rebuilt my pc in a new case, and checked all my connections and cleaned my components and the issue persisted

Specs:

Msi b450m pro-vdh motherboard
Ryzen 5 2600 processor
Corsair vengeance 16gb RAM
Corsair 650m PSU,
MSI gtx 1660 gaming x
Windows 10 64 bit

Last edited by a moderator:

ASK THE COMMUNITY