Question Why does my pc Ethernet only connect at 10mbps?

Jun 11, 2024
I bought a MSI Pro z790 Max Wifi and installed all the drivers updated them but my ethernet couldnt connect until i switched the speed to 10mbps. I bought a new cat6a ethernet cord and tested on other pc’s and they work. Is this a hardware issue if so, can i just use my old pc parts and switch the motherboard?

Jun 11, 2024
No I haven’t used an older OS. Can you tell me how? I made a fresh install. It’s OS version is
Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3672)

Seems that this motherboard (and similar models) does have a history of having issues with the ethernet controller:
https://community.intel.com/t5/Ethe...I226-V-connection-drop-Z790-Board/m-p/1447136

Reactions: Angelneedshelp
The most common cause of this is a bad ethernet cable. Unfortunately a huge amount the cables you see for sale are fakes, they do not meet the standards required to be certified as a ethernet cable.

The most common kind are those flat cables that have very thin wires. All you need is cat5e but it need to be pure copper with wire size 22-24.

Problem with fake cables is they work on some machines and not others....if they always fail nobody would buy them because they would have massive negative reviews.

If it is not the cable then it is likely the port. The speed negotiation is done at a hardware level that is built into the chips there is not much firmware or drivers that will make any difference.

Although you could replace the motherboard to fix this issue it tends to be better to just buy a PCIE ethernet card the are fairly inexpensive