Question Why does my PC fail to turn on while GPU is plugged in (the PSU clicks)?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2829896
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2829896

Hello everyone

I am looking for some insight into my title question. I understand I've put this question under the GPU sub-forum, because I've briefly done some research and I slightly suspect the GPU has developed a fault rather than the PSU.

This is my build, I had it for nearly two years now and no problems major or minor:

PSU: Corsair TX-M Series 650 Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified (Hybrid Modular)
MB: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming ATX
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
RAM: HyperX FURY Black HX432C16FB3K2/16 (2x8)
GPU: Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8G GDDR5

The story of how this fault came about is as follows: I was doing a little gaming on Warframe on one monitor while I had a browser open on my other monitor and suddenly the PC switches off. I look around my PC to see any apparent damages or smells but nothing, so I pressed the power button and nothing but an audible click from the PSU. I then left it for a while and came back to it the next day.

The next day I opened up my PC, disconnected all devices/peripherals, and components apart from the power cable to the MB + CPU, CPU fan, and the RAM sticks. I press the power button and it turns on. I plug the GPU back in and it doesn't turn on (however if I leave the GPU connected to MB without connecting the power cable it still turns on).

I've checked the power cables for the GPU and they seem fine; no noticeable damage, I've used the other socket in the PSU and tried the spare GPU power cable but nothing that's resolved the issue. To note, I am plugging the 6+2 into the GPU and not the PSU.

Ultimately I believe the problem is with the GPU but I'm not sure what and why. I think there is a safety feature within the PSU to prevent any further damage and that's why it clicks and refuses to power on. I would like to know what this feature is called as I do have a spare PSU (Gigabyte B700H 700W 80+ BRONZE) that I would like to troubleshoot this problem on but I don't want to damage this spare PSU. Unfortunately, I do not have a spare GPU to troubleshoot this problem.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Ultimately I believe the problem is with the GPU
Looks to me you are right here
but I'm not sure what and why
Probably short on GPU
I think there is a safety feature within the PSU to prevent any further damage and that's why it clicks and refuses to power on. I would like to know what this feature is called
If that is a short then it's SCP
Unfortunately, I do not have a spare GPU to troubleshoot this problem.
Most likely you will need spare GPU to solve it
Gigabyte B700H 700W 80+ BRONZE
It does have SCP

D

Deleted member 2829896

Probably short on GPU

If that's the case then I could either get it the card seen by an expert or get it replaced, luckily I have a few days left of a 2 year warranty. What could have caused the short as I didn't see anything through the case window or hear anything significant when the problem arose?

If that is a short then it's SCP
It does have SCP

Thank you for this information. Even though I would likely get the same result but would there be no harm in testing the problem with the spare PSU I have, or should I just save my time?

Most likely you will need spare GPU to solve it

I will be looking into a replacement, any suggestions? Preferably something with similar performance and price range. This was my 2nd RX580 I've had, the first was a MSI RADEON RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC, it was preowned and failed after a couple of months as it started to produce artifacts.

Thanks for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

What could have caused the short as I didn't see anything through the case window or hear anything significant when the problem arose?
Typically some chip fails (could be vrm, could be controller, or even gpu chip itself) and it creates short inside it, and if the GPU has no breaker (some have it but many don't) you get this effect.
If that's the case then I could either get it the card seen by an expert or get it replaced, luckily I have a few days left of a 2 year warranty.
Lucky you. Definitely lucky.
Even though I would likely get the same result but would there be no harm in testing the problem with the spare PSU I have, or should I just save my time?
Depends on how you value your time. If I'm correct thinking it is short then the result should be same. But I might be wrong (singing "I'm only human after all").
I will be looking into a replacement, any suggestions?
Depends on your budget, PC usage and the like. Your PSU is good and should have no problem running up to maybe even rtx 3070 so you have plenty of options. The market is kind of crazy now, you can get good deals if you look hard enough. Just beware of used ex-mining cards, some of them can be a real problem.