Question why does my pc freeze after cpu upgrade?

typicalsweg

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
I just purchased an evga 1660ti and an intel i7 3770k to replace my gtx 760 and intel i5 3570k. Installed gpu first before i got the i7 and everything worked fine. Once i got my i7 things went south. once i installed the i7, my pc froze on the windows loading screen. You know, the one with the window and the spinning dots. I realized that i should update my bios, so I had to put old cpu back in and dnl the files. After that update, i installed the new cpu again and booted my rig back up. Everything worked fine for some time until it froze again. Had to force shut down and restart and it froze again on the windows loading screen. It will keep doing that unless i boot into safe mode and shut it down the normal way. Btw, my pc has been freezing on me before i got the new parts, but it wasnt frequent like now. It wasnt that much of an issue then. Now, when i play games, especially bf1, my pc will freeze sometimes. It's really hard doing this because i have to keep force shutting down my pc over and over again hoping that i will get to my windows login screen. My drivers are all up to date, my cpu temps are 30C-37C, my motherboard supports the cpu, and i believe i have the right wattage. I just dont know what to do. I got borderlands 3 coming out soon and i bought these parts for that game. if i have to, i will put the i5 back in.

PC specs:
Intel i7 3770k
evga 1660 ti
asrock z77 extreme 3
500w psu
8gb ram
1tb hdd

Last edited by a moderator:

typicalsweg

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
Try a CMOS reset, just to be sure that there isn't some hidden setting, that the motherboard had set, for your previous CPU. Also, what is the make/model of your power supply?
My PSU is an antec i believe. Also, how would i go about resetting my cmos? Is that when you press the button on the motherboard? if so, i cant do it because i dont have a button.

logainofhades

Titan
There is a jumper, that is used to reset the CMOS, on the motherboard. Consult the motherboard manual, on location, and how to do the reset, for your particular model. Just make sure the system is unplugged, and fully powered down, before proceeding. Asrock will have a downloadable manual, if you do not have your physical one.

typicalsweg

Prominent
Feb 7, 2018
There is a jumper, that is used to reset the CMOS, on the motherboard. Consult the motherboard manual, on location, and how to do the reset, for your particular model. Just make sure the system is unplugged, and fully powered down, before proceeding. Asrock will have a downloadable manual, if you do not have your physical one.
I just looked at it. It says that it's not wise to do it after a bios update. I had to update the bios cpu microcode for my new one. Will have to update it again if i clear cmos

InvalidError

Titan
If you bought the CPU used, there is always the possibility that you got a flaky one.

A friend brought me a z68 board he wanted me to unbrick after flashing the wrong BIOS on it. I spent several hours flashing and swapping BIOS chips to get the board to work again, best I ever got is boot-looping through the POST screen. The board had an i7-2600 on it, so I thought I'd salvage the CPU to put it in my PC as a sidegrade for my i5-3470. Turned out the i7 had stability issues, would cause my PC to crash or reboot every 3-5 days whereas my i5 can go for however long I want to go between reboots for Windows updates.

TRENDING THREADS