Jun 16, 2020
This is a long time problem I've had with this self-built pc. It freezes at mostly random times. I can be when in game, or when idle on desktop. However, there are certain apps it is MORE LIKELY to freeze during, and this DOES NOT correlate to either CPU usage or GPU strain. It is very consistent, however, with the likelihood of freezing with different apps open. I.E. League of Legends is what I play most, on medium graphics settings, almost NEVER freezes in-game (though once in a long while it'll freeze before getting in game). XCOM 2 is about the same graphics-wise and will freeze 100% of the time (could be after 1 minute, or after an hour). AC: Odyssey is the most GPU/CPU intense game I've played on it and it freezes about half the time (maybe once every 100 minutes of game play average).
When it freezes, the screen usually changes and it can change to any number of things like a mostly solid color or a pattern or keep some of what was on screen already. It also may or may not have a solid constant beep when it happens.
My original thought was it was the GPU but it's so random I have no idea really. All I'm looking for is a more knowledgeable person's thoughts on what the most likely defective part is. Thank you in advance!!

Specs:
MB: ASUS AMD 990FX + SB950
CPU: AMD 9590FX
GPU: Radeon R9 270X
RAM: 24GB DDR3 2400