Question Why does my pc keep crashing after I overclocked it?

Sep 25, 2019
I built my first gaming pc a few days ago and I wanted to try and Overclock it. But after I did it my pc kept crashing and rebooting and crashing... I reset all of the overclocks but it still crashes and I’m really worried.
Pc specs:
i7 9700kf
Asus prime z390-a
Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 3000mhz
Asus rog Strix rx 5700 xt
Cooler master v850 gold
Cryorig r1 Universal

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what happens when you have an unstable OC.

Also, why try OC your system? You already have one of the fastest gaming CPU's out there. And a pretty high end GPU. OC might get you 5-10% improvement, but you are already rocking some serious gaming hardware. You don't need to OC that system.

When you said you reset the OC, did you reset default settings on your mobo from the bios? It will literally be an option that says ' Restore bios defaults' or something like that.

Sep 25, 2019
Yeah, that's what happens when you have an unstable OC.

Also, why try OC your system? You already have one of the fastest gaming CPU's out there. And a pretty high end GPU. OC might get you 5-10% improvement, but you are already rocking some serious gaming hardware. You don't need to OC that system.

When you said you reset the OC, did you reset default settings on your mobo from the bios? It will literally be an option that says ' Restore bios defaults' or something like that.
I went into the BIOS and just set it to default, I also just used the cmos jumper after the bios default thing didn’t work

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Here's the thing about cpus. There's no 2 that are identical. Every single cpu responds slightly differently, has different needs, wants, boundaries. So no 2 cpus will OC the same.

OC is all about the theory. What to bump up, what can be cut back, what might need adjusting, what needs left alone, what can be disabled, should be disabled, can be left enabled and When.

That video isn't half bad, but your cpu is going to be different to the video cpu. So following it exactly may or may not work.

Look up how to get into advanced boot options on your pc. There's a switch for 'last stable' boot option.

I'd suggest very strongly that once you get the pc operational, you leave it that way until you have done Far more research into OC theory, practice, reasons, results etc more specific to your motherboard and cpu.

OC is a hobby, not a necessity (unless you still own an FX), and just like any hobby that's going to be successful, requires some knowledge of who, what, when, where and how and do Nots. You don't have that yet, so it's not surprising your OC crashes. Repeatedly.

Sep 25, 2019
Here's the thing about cpus. There's no 2 that are identical. Every single cpu responds slightly differently, has different needs, wants, boundaries. So no 2 cpus will OC the same.

OC is all about the theory. What to bump up, what can be cut back, what might need adjusting, what needs left alone, what can be disabled, should be disabled, can be left enabled and When.

That video isn't half bad, but your cpu is going to be different to the video cpu. So following it exactly may or may not work.

Look up how to get into advanced boot options on your pc. There's a switch for 'last stable' boot option.

I'd suggest very strongly that once you get the pc operational, you leave it that way until you have done Far more research into OC theory, practice, reasons, results etc more specific to your motherboard and cpu.

OC is a hobby, not a necessity (unless you still own an FX), and just like any hobby that's going to be successful, requires some knowledge of who, what, when, where and how and do Nots. You don't have that yet, so it's not surprising your OC crashes. Repeatedly.
I have looked it up but it says that I have to turn on my pc, my pc will turn on but crash immediately. Here’s a video I recorded of my pc:
View: https://youtu.be/wZC72VL3LtU

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unplug the pc. Pull out the cmos battery by the gpu, hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds and wait 10 minutes. Then replace.

Sometimes even a quick clear of cmos isn't effective, there's multiple settings that don't register in bios that are part of the cmos and can get changed under OC conditions. A quick wipe of cmos may or may not undo those.

Because the cmos/bios is now glitched, it may not be going into full power up self test and is shutting down.

Sep 25, 2019
Unplug the pc. Pull out the cmos battery by the gpu, hold the power button down for 10-15 seconds and wait 10 minutes. Then replace.

Sometimes even a quick clear of cmos isn't effective, there's multiple settings that don't register in bios that are part of the cmos and can get changed under OC conditions. A quick wipe of cmos may or may not undo those.

Because the cmos/bios is now glitched, it may not be going into full power up self test and is shutting down.
Ok thanks, it’s currently 12am where I live so I will try this when I wake up in the morning

Sep 25, 2019

My pc doesn’t crash in boot anymore but my monitor doesn’t receive any signal from my gpu but it’s fans and rgb are on. I can’t plug the monitor into my mobo since I don’t have integrated graphics.

Since your graphics card worked before, it is very unlikely that it is defective.

Double check your connections.

Are the cables to the card secure at both ends?
Is the card securely inserted into the pcie x16 slot?
Is your monitor cable securely inserted at both ends?
If the monitor does not have auto input selection, verify that your OSD is set to the proper input.

Any graphics card has a default low res mode that runs without any drivers.
Try booting windows in safe mode without drivers. F8 on boot should do that.

Reactions: DMAN999
Sep 25, 2019
Since your graphics card worked before, it is very unlikely that it is defective.

Double check your connections.

Are the cables to the card secure at both ends?
Is the card securely inserted into the pcie x16 slot?
Is your monitor cable securely inserted at both ends?
If the monitor does not have auto input selection, verify that your OSD is set to the proper input.

Any graphics card has a default low res mode that runs without any drivers.
Try booting windows in safe mode without drivers. F8 on boot should do that.
Cables are secure, I’m pretty sure the gpu is secure and I have auto input selection, I’ve been using dp so I might try hdmi tomorrow. I tried hitting f8 when I booted my pc but I still can’t see anything on the screen as it still says no signal

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Does the monitor have a dvi hookup? Both dp and hdmi have a 'handshake' that has to happen between the sending and receiving units. Without that handshake, nothing happens. Normally with hdmi it's as simple as unplugging and plugging back in, at the pc, to get it recognised. Dvi has no such restrictions so can be more reliable.

Reactions: DMAN999
Sep 25, 2019
Does the monitor have a dvi hookup? Both dp and hdmi have a 'handshake' that has to happen between the sending and receiving units. Without that handshake, nothing happens. Normally with hdmi it's as simple as unplugging and plugging back in, at the pc, to get it recognised. Dvi has no such restrictions so can be more reliable.
My monitor doesn’t have a dvi hookup and I tried hdmi but it still doesn’t work

Sep 25, 2019
UPDATE: turns out the atx cable in the power supply was a bit loose and my ram was faulty. The overclock had nothing to do with my pc crashing. Thanks for the replies