Question Why does my PC keep powering off ?

Jul 5, 2023
So up until yesterday I was able to game on my pc with ultra game settings. No heat or lag issues with all games. Then it did some funny business with the picture on screen, and powered off. Ran zcpu to see if I could understand what's going on, but I'm not smart with this stuff so no clue. Here is a video of zcpu running while playing a game. I have tried 3 different games now, and the problem persists. How do I fix this, and why is it starting now after a year of use problem free?

Specs are:
biostar a320mh motherboard
amd athlon 3000g 4.5ghz CPU
asus gtx1650 4gb gpu
kingston fury beast 16g ddr4
evga 600 psu

Video of z-cpu running.

Jul 5, 2023
your psu might be aging..
you should explain funny business in more details, are you having artifacts on the screen or bsod?
The picture started lagging, froze, exited full screen, duplicatted that window into about 40 of them, mouse was locked out, and then complete power off. No error code or blue screen. Powered right back on right away after pressing power button. Will now just shutdown after about 5 to 10 minutes gaming. Did a stress test on the cpu, and passed. Reformated, and fresh windows with only drivers, steam, and one game. Still does the same when gaming.

EDIT: Can somebody just tell me what the video is saying?

gpumarketonfire

Prominent
BANNED
Nov 8, 2021
Your video looks
Can somebody just tell me what the video is saying?
Video saying, your cpu is 50 degrees ( very cool) when gaming.
Your graphics card using 95% of its power.
Gpu has 80 degrees spots. Most people say it's OK. But in my book i never trust nvidia. Your gpu might be damaging itself cause of the heat. 600watt psu is more than ok for your system.
My advice is reduce your gaming graphics and limit your fps cap and see if it helps. Summer is hot.

Jul 5, 2023
Your video looks

Video saying, your cpu is 50 degrees ( very cool) when gaming.
Your graphics card using %95 of its power.
Gpu has 80 degrees spots. Most people say it's OK. But in my book i never trust nvidia. Your gpu might be damaging itself cause of the heat. 600watt psu is more than ok for your system.
My advice is reduce your gaming graphics and limit your fps cap and see if it helps. Summer is hot.
From the test it says my power is capped...??

gpumarketonfire

Prominent
BANNED
Nov 8, 2021
None so far.... but looks like crap at low. I don't understand why i have to use low now? what was damaged? what needs replacing?
High temperature slowly chips away memory chips and processing units. Also check your ssd/hdd for errors. I don't see any big red flags here, it can be anything.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
revert your overclocks.
:ROFLMAO: Joke of the day.
OCing Athlon 3000G is 1st for me.

I don't see any big red flags here, it can be anything.
If you have no idea what is going on, then why do you confuse OP even more? :rolleyes:

---

what needs replacing?
This does:
evga 600 BQ
Why?
Your PSU is low quality PSU and not suitable to be used with any PC.

Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

Since your temps are within reason, it's the PSU who is acting up.

While your PSU has enough wattage for your system, your PSU is low build quality and i'm pretty sure that it's voltage regulation has sifted outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 75W GPU to run under higher load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming.

Only fix is new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus or Corsair RMi/RMx, in 550W range.

For 2nd opinion about your EVGA unit, look PSU tier list, under Tier C,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While what i suggest getting (and am also using myself), would be anything from Tier A.

what was damaged?
Everything that is connected to PSU. <- This is the price you have to pay, when you cheap out on PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. And you do not want to cheap out on PSU, if you care about your hardware.

...but why now? Up until 2 days ago everything was great at full settings for almost 2 years now.
Why now? Well, your cheap PSU, most likely, fed out of spec voltages to your hardware, damaging them over time. Until to the point where there is real life issues with the PC.

You can look it like getting a car tire punctured by a nail. Once there is small hole in the tire, tire won't go flat at an instant. Instead it will gradually loose air, until it completely deflates, at which point you can tell that you have a flat tire (rumble noise while driving, poor turning etc).

---

At this point, your next course of action would be buying brand new, good quality PSU. Once you have new, good quality PSU installed, look if you still have your issues.

If not, great, you got lucky and can enjoy your PC easy 10+ years (the normal lifespan of good quality PSU).
If you still have your issues, despite using brand new, good quality PSU, then this means your cheap EVGA PSU damaged your hardware. MoBo is usually 1st one to give up the ghost, followed by GPU close-by. This means hardware replacement, since there is no way to "fix" damaged MoBo/GPU.

Reactions: MontyInTrouble

gpumarketonfire

Prominent
BANNED
Nov 8, 2021
Personal attacks will not be tolerated
:ROFLMAO: Joke of the day.
OCing Athlon 3000G is 1st for me.

If you have no idea what is going on, then why do you confuse OP even more? :rolleyes:

---

This does:

Why?
Your PSU is low quality PSU and not suitable to be used with any PC.

Random reboots or shutdowns are mostly caused by 2 issues:
1. CPU/GPU overheats and to prevent any damage, system shuts down.
2. PSU fails to deliver enough power to the GPU or fails to keep smooth enough voltage for PC's operation.

Since your temps are within reason, it's the PSU who is acting up.

While your PSU has enough wattage for your system, your PSU is low build quality and i'm pretty sure that it's voltage regulation has sifted outside of the ATX PSU standard specs of 5% on all rails (10% on -12V and -5V rails) and your PSU can't sustain stable enough voltage for your 75W GPU to run under higher load. That's why your PC shuts down once you start gaming.

Only fix is new, good quality PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus or Corsair RMi/RMx, in 550W range.

For 2nd opinion about your EVGA unit, look PSU tier list, under Tier C,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

While what i suggest getting (and am also using myself), would be anything from Tier A.

Everything that is connected to PSU. <- This is the price you have to pay, when you cheap out on PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. And you do not want to cheap out on PSU, if you care about your hardware.

Why now? Well, your cheap PSU, most likely, fed out of spec voltages to your hardware, damaging them over time. Until to the point where there is real life issues with the PC.

You can look it like getting a car tire punctured by a nail. Once there is small hole in the tire, tire won't go flat at an instant. Instead it will gradually loose air, until it completely deflates, at which point you can tell that you have a flat tire (rumble noise while driving, poor turning etc).

---

At this point, your next course of action would be buying brand new, good quality PSU. Once you have new, good quality PSU installed, look if you still have your issues.

If not, great, you got lucky and can enjoy your PC easy 10+ years (the normal lifespan of good quality PSU).
If you still have your issues, despite using brand new, good quality PSU, then this means your cheap EVGA PSU damaged your hardware. MoBo is usually 1st one to give up the ghost, followed by GPU close-by. This means hardware replacement, since there is no way to "fix" damaged MoBo/GPU.
It's a general troubleshoot advice.
RAM overclock is overclock. Gpu overclock is overclock. He said amd athlon 3000g 4.5ghz CPU, it's a typo or overlocked. Athlon series cpus and a320 mobo overlocking is possible. ( not supported)
I'm not confusing anyone, <MOD EDIT PERSONAL ATTACK REMOVED>

Enjoy the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 5, 2023
Guys guys guys!! lol. It's fine, and yes I did mean 3.5 instead of 4.5, but yes it is overclockable.... I choose not to bother with that concidering it really wasnt built for high end gaming.

Turns out those days that it kept thermaling were the hottest on record with super high humidity. Everything now after an air wash seems to be back to normal. I even stress tested it with the same games cranked to ultra while chatting on steam, and temps stayed at cpu 54 / gpu 68. This was with my air conditioning off to try and force a crash. Went like this for about 2hrs then I just quit. Guess everything is still good.

Note in point.... if I wanna game at these settings I'll definitely need some better cooling!

Jul 5, 2023
Yup, exacly what I was just doing. GPU fan goes 24%, 45%, 65% and stays at that. CPU only climbs about 5 or so degrees. Nothing looks to fluctuate in the PSU department. At idle everything stays at about 35% with no air on in the apartment. With air it goes down to I think the lowest was 31 for both with gpu fan at 24%.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Note in point.... if I wanna game at these settings I'll definitely need some better cooling!
I'd still go with better PSU regardless.

New, good quality PSU doesn't cost much,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/KmgzK8,WJM48d/

And for CPU cooler, Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo is very solid,
specs: https://www.arctic.de/en/Freezer-34-eSports-DUO/ACFRE00063A
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352.html
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dmXnTW,PnPKHx,PxtKHx,J7ZzK8/

Note: CPU cooler is 157mm tall.

Reactions: MontyInTrouble
Jul 5, 2023
I'd still go with better PSU regardless.

New, good quality PSU doesn't cost much,
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/KmgzK8,WJM48d/

And for CPU cooler, Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo is very solid,
specs: https://www.arctic.de/en/Freezer-34-eSports-DUO/ACFRE00063A
review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352.html
pcpp: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dmXnTW,PnPKHx,PxtKHx,J7ZzK8/

Note: CPU cooler is 157mm tall.
I see no signs of it failing so I see no reason to replace the psu simply because you believe they are cheap. Sorry.