[SOLVED] Why does my PC keep turning off earlier and earlier?

Oct 4, 2022
Hi,

My PC randomly crashed, while i was playing CP77.

I then restarted it, which worked, but it would keep turning off, just going out as if I pulled the power supply.

This would keep happening faster, so less and less time between starting and just turning off, not even fully booting now. It showed inbetween that i have some issues with my harddrive, but I dont even get to this anymore. This is probably due to it turning off during starting all the time.

Observations/Note that might help

I recently switched my GPU and the power supply and started playing a heavily modded version of Cyperpunk 2077

My brother has the same PC, every single part is the same and he has no issues as of yet.

Once after a short break it stayed on longer, but after that it turned off really fast again, 3 sec after pressing the power button.

Really thankful for any help, I will try tommorrow to find the problem, it could maybe be overheating due to the fact, that it would stay on longer after a short break, but I was worried about that previously and turned down some settings so my rtx3070 stays lower than 70°C and it used to be at 90°C.

Solution
Well, i swaped the power supply and it worked. But when i took my PSU out to change it, the MB cable fell out by itself, so i wanted to check if maybe just that was the problem.

And it was -_- , I then kept my PSU outside the case, plugged all cables back in and its running now fine and not shutting off at more demanding parts.

Just to be sure, can a loose MB connection lead to this kind of symptoms?

Yes they can, told you to check those,

Do you also have problems if you connect directly to the wall?

Also make sure all connectors are well in place and do look at the psu side. Getting both pieces of the motherboard connector in can sometimes be tough for instance.

If it runs well outside...
Oct 4, 2022
Yes, only problem is that i am not sure about every single thing, some of them are relatively old, but I will try my best:
(Tell me if you need any specific specs, that i am missing)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT
GPU: Inno RTX 3070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2133 DIMM, 2x 8 Gb
MB: MSI B550-A Pro
PSU: Revolution D.F. (ERF750EWT)

I cleaned the fan and changed the thermal paste, it did start perfectly fine and ran smoothly. I waited a few min. and while I was gone it shut off again. I couldnt start it again and had to plug the power supply cable to try to restart it, which it did until it turned off after 2 sec again.

While it was working, I checked with the Task Manager and everything looked fine, no high usage or temperature.

I saw some post with very similar symptoms and they were mostly related to the CPU and the cooling of it, but I am not really sure.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
For best system specs (excluding psu),

download hwinfo,
install and open it=click run,
close the top window which is the system summary,
in the main window at the left top click "save report",
at the bottom of the next window check "Summary for Clipboard",
after that you'll see what's in the pc,
copy by clicking "copy to clipboard" and rightclick+paste in your next respons

Is a nice to have tool anyway.

Oct 4, 2022
For best system specs (excluding psu),

Is a nice to have tool anyway.

I can try after some time, but not sure if it will stay on long enough.
I can give you the report of the PC of my brother, uses the exact same hardware, except i have a different second harddrive and I recently setup Windows new, same key, Windows 10.

Computer: MSI MS-7C56

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT (Matisse, MTS-B0)
3800 MHz (38.00x100.0) @ 3775 MHz (37.75x100.0)

Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO (MS-7C56)

BIOS: A.30, 08/31/2020

Chipset: AMD B550 (Promontory PROM19 C)

Memory: 16384 MBytes @ 1066 MHz, 15-15-15-36
  • 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
  • 8192 MB PC25600 DDR4 SDRAM - Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 LHR
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8192 MB GDDR6 SDRAM

Drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, 976.8 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s

Drive: WDC WD5000AAKX-07U6AA0, 488.4 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s

Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-216DB, DVD+R DL

Sound: NVIDIA GA104 - High Definition Audio Controller

Sound: AMD Family 17h/19h - HD Audio Controller

Network: RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (x64) Build 19044.2006 (21H2)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Looked abit and first repaste the cpu so heat cannot be the problem, cause that looked pretty crusty. Clean the pc and the cooler block when you're at it, a can of compressed air and a brush can already give nice results.

If you are like your brother than likely do you run an older bios as well, would update to the latest.

Before updating to the latest bios make sure you run the latest chipset drivers,
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

Oct 4, 2022
I cleaned the PC and changed the thermal paste, but that didnt help.

One remark, the PC worked for a few days perfectly fine, the GPU got pretty hot (80°C) but that´s it. Just turned off randomly at night.

I will try changing the power supply tomorrow.
I used one cable with 2x8 pin connectors for the GPU, changed that and use now 2 different cables for it.

It worked for some time, with that time I installed the Chip drivers, dont think they were installed previously, then it asked me to restart, I clicked and in that moment it turned off again. I was able to turn it on again and it would stay on longer but at the moment when i login to my windows acc it would just turn off again.

Last edited:
I will try changing the power supply tomorrow.
I used one cable with 2x8 pin connectors for the GPU, changed that and use now 2 different cables for it.
Can you show, how PCIE modular cables are connected to your PSU?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
You may have PCIE cables connected to a single rail. Single rail overload may cause PSU shutdown.

Upper row of 8pin PCIE connectors is rail 12V3.
Lower row of 8pin PCIE connectors is rail 12V4.
REVOLUTION_DF-07.png

Oct 4, 2022
Can you show, how PCIE modular cables are connected to your PSU?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
You may have PCIE cables connected to a single rail. Single rail overload may cause PSU shutdown.

Upper row of 8pin PCIE connectors is rail 12V3.
Lower row of 8pin PCIE connectors is rail 12V4.
REVOLUTION_DF-07.png

I have both MB and the single CPU besides the MB port connected, for the PCIE i use the one in the upper half and the second is the one directly beneath it. For my 2 hard drives i use 2 besided eachother.

View: https://imgur.com/a/uITTRAd

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
Well, it runs now for over 18, 25 minutes, which is a record time by far, have to see how it goes now.
But its weird for me, why that would be the problem, I used the PC for days, hour long, nothing happened and why it would get better if I waited some time after it turned off.

Side note:
- I dont think i had any chip drivers installed, if that is even possible, because the folder where they were before i formatted everything and installed windows new, appeared just now after I installed them

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well, it runs now for over 18, 25 minutes, which is a record time by far, have to see how it goes now.
But its weird for me, why that would be the problem, I used the PC for days, hour long, nothing happened and why it would get better if I waited some time after it turned off.

Side note:
- I dont think i had any chip drivers installed, if that is even possible, because the folder where they were before i formatted everything and installed windows new, appeared just now after I installed them
Just watched this vid,
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=EvsPZA8CkBY

he also talks about extensions (Jon Gerow) , not in the way you are using, but still the same applies, you add another point of resistance and possibly failure. So if the pc runs well from the wall directly is likely the extension used the problem. You could try and buy a higher quality one and see if that makes a difference, there is certainly a difference in quality available. If this is what you did ...

Good you did install the chipset drivers. The LAN and Audio are also recommendable.

Oct 4, 2022
I checked Reliability History and Event Viewer, nothing interesting, just shows that Windows did not correctly shut down.

It still runs and i will now stress test it a bit, but I am still somewhat sceptical why it now works, all other things using the cord work, but I will just accept that it works now.

If it crashes again, I will come back, If not, I will come back tomorrow to let you know to close this thread.
Thanks a lot for the help, would not have thought about the extension cord as a problem and thrown a lot of money at this problem otherwise.
Hope I wont need your help soon xD.

Reactions: Vic 40
Oct 4, 2022
And, I am back.

After over 50 minutes of just running fine (just used task manager, event viewer and reliability history), i shut it down, plugged all cables, put it back in its spot, started it and it shut down while logging in.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
So you moved the pc between rooms? Still on the wall directly?

Yes there is basically no difference between the 2 settings.
I have a desk where it stands in, but to open the pc i have to get it out of there. So between the spot where it stood and i tested it and where it usually stand is 1 m, the cables and all are the same.

I will probably test the power supply from my brother and see if that makes any difference.

Not sure if it could be a problem with the fans, they are quiter now after re-applying the thermal paste and cleaning it, but one is kinda weak.
Maybe also just a loose connection somewhere?