[SOLVED] Why does my PC keep turning off earlier and earlier?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 4, 2022
Hi,

My PC randomly crashed, while i was playing CP77.

I then restarted it, which worked, but it would keep turning off, just going out as if I pulled the power supply.

This would keep happening faster, so less and less time between starting and just turning off, not even fully booting now. It showed inbetween that i have some issues with my harddrive, but I dont even get to this anymore. This is probably due to it turning off during starting all the time.

Observations/Note that might help

I recently switched my GPU and the power supply and started playing a heavily modded version of Cyperpunk 2077

My brother has the same PC, every single part is the same and he has no issues as of yet.

Once after a short break it stayed on longer, but after that it turned off really fast again, 3 sec after pressing the power button.

Really thankful for any help, I will try tommorrow to find the problem, it could maybe be overheating due to the fact, that it would stay on longer after a short break, but I was worried about that previously and turned down some settings so my rtx3070 stays lower than 70°C and it used to be at 90°C.

Solution
Well, i swaped the power supply and it worked. But when i took my PSU out to change it, the MB cable fell out by itself, so i wanted to check if maybe just that was the problem.

And it was -_- , I then kept my PSU outside the case, plugged all cables back in and its running now fine and not shutting off at more demanding parts.

Just to be sure, can a loose MB connection lead to this kind of symptoms?

Yes they can, told you to check those,

Do you also have problems if you connect directly to the wall?

Also make sure all connectors are well in place and do look at the psu side. Getting both pieces of the motherboard connector in can sometimes be tough for instance.

If it runs well outside...
Oct 4, 2022
It runs directly from the wall.
I checked all cables, connection and they should be fine.

I started it, made a quick scan and a microsoft defender offline scan to check if its maybe a virus or something like that, didnt find anything (not sure how good they are but better than nothing).

It ran well, restarted 2 times for the scan and i then started CP2077 to test it a bit.
It did turn off shortly after loading a game save, but it did turn on immediately again, which it did originally in the beginning as well one time.
It ran for a bit over 20 minutes, no issue, i started CP2077 again, turned off again.

General Observation:
  • it seems to be a hardware problem
  • it happens seemingly random, except that it happens earlier the more often i try and takes more time if i wait some time
    • this observation seemed to be true, but now it doesnt completely follow the pattern anymore
      • it once ran for 50 minutes, but then turned off again quickly after starting it again
  • i have to plug the power supply to be able to turn it on again, so it seems to have tripped a safety
    • but 2x times it did turn on again immediately after shutting down, without me doing anything
  • it feels like overheating to me, but no idea what or why
If it is a loose connection in of the parts, should i test it by shaking the PC?
(i will change the PSU but i wont get it soon from my brother)

Oct 4, 2022
Ok, it ran now for 50 minutes again, i wanted to run CP2077 again, wouldnt start as some mods wouldnt work due to shutting down previously.
I used Warframe now and it shut down again, when a more ressource intensive part started, the core temp would also spike at a bit above 70°C (current section) and the max it showed me in the sensor section was 73°C. (used hwinfo for this)

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Hope the other psu can tell more about what might happen.

Can try to do this and maybe it can show me if there is a problem,

How to make a log,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

not really my favorite thing anymore since he added way too much clutter, but i'll see if anything is showed, it might take some time though to sift through this..

Oct 4, 2022
I turned on the PC, started the log and then started Warframe (videogame with somewhat higher demands on CPU/GPU to test them), which lead to a shutdown shortly after. Restarted the PC and uploaded the log.

I let it run and its been going for around 2 hours now, without any problems. I then started Warframe again and it turned off after 1-2 minutes.

Oct 4, 2022
Yeah i can swap both tomorrow. There is no strain on the cables, i keep it in its "testing space" until i know for sure the problem is solved.

And thanks for the continuous help, this is trickier than i expected.

Oct 4, 2022
Well, i swaped the power supply and it worked. But when i took my PSU out to change it, the MB cable fell out by itself, so i wanted to check if maybe just that was the problem.

And it was -_- , I then kept my PSU outside the case, plugged all cables back in and its running now fine and not shutting off at more demanding parts.

Generally, i have the feeling that´s probably it and well, thanks for all the help.

(its been running and working absolutely fine for a few hours now, seems solved)

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

Yes they can, told you to check those,

Do you also have problems if you connect directly to the wall?

Also make sure all connectors are well in place and do look at the psu side. Getting both pieces of the motherboard connector in can sometimes be tough for instance.

If it runs well outside the "box" should it run well inside, so yes look at connections recheck all power cable connections and do check the psu side as well.
I assume you keep it running from the wall directly?

Solution