Oct 5, 2020
So i built my first pc a little over a year back. It was working perfectly with no issues what so ever. However, recently I upgraded my CPU from a Ryzen 5 2600 to a Ryzen 7 3700X. I already installed all drivers for it. Now, my pc takes multiple tires to boot, usually between 2-4 maybe 5 times. How can I fix this? Would I need to change the motherboard? I also have PSU cable extensions, would that cause an issue?

PC SPECS (No OC):
Ryzen 5 2600 then upgraded to Ryzen 7 3700X - stock cooler
MSI b450 Tomahawk
Evga RTX 2070 XC
16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Ram
250gb Boot SSD
2tb Seagate Hard Drive

Solution
Yes I do in fact have a BIOS update that supports Ryzen 3XXX.

My brother also has the problem with the boot order but every time try to change the boot order, the pc keeps changing the order back to being messed up after about a week or so. Do you know any fixes for that?

Hmmm. So one thing that has caused that for me was the CMOS being cleared. I could only tell that happened for sure because all of my overclocking was cleared (and I had my settings restored to factory). I can't explain how that happened accidentally, because my PC has a CMOS button to clear that - and I guarantee that it did not get accidentally pressed.

And considering that I haven't had the issue since, I don't think there's an issue with my CMOS battery...

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
i found the issue. my motherboard does is not amd 3000 series ready.

While that's true... It is not ready for Ryzen 3XXX series as a B450, I am very surprised it boots at all unless you have the BIOS update that makes it support that...

Since you say you found the issue, I assume that you aren't having trouble with that any more. But for others that search and find this issue, I just want to mention that I recently had the same issue.

However, I have a Gigabyte Auros x570 Master, which is built for Ryzen 3XXX from the ground up. For me, the problem was simple. I pressed "Delete" on the Motherboard load/BIOS screen, and found that my BIOS had assumed a bizarre boot order. I have 4 drives in my PC. And it chose a USB stick that I'd inserted sometime before as my primary boot drive. I can't explain why. It did not ever have an operating system on that USB stick. And the boot order was previously correct...

Somehow, still, the boot order was messed up and the PC was trying to cycle through several different drives to determine what my boot drive was. Occasionally this resulted in the PC giving up after the motherboard BIOS screen, and the video feed to my monitor cut off; forcing me to try to boot again. But around 1 out of 4 or 5 boots would boot correctly. And about half of the proper boot sequences would put me on a "choose your boot drive screen".

I changed the boot order to only include the one drive that had Windows installed, but then my computer refused to boot properly at all. I was forced to repair windows on the one and only boot drive that I had. After that, I had no more issues booting.

If you see that behavior, also check my above issue as a possible fix.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Oct 5, 2020

My brother also has the problem with the boot order but every time try to change the boot order, the pc keeps changing the order back to being messed up after about a week or so. Do you know any fixes for that?

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019

Hmmm. So one thing that has caused that for me was the CMOS being cleared. I could only tell that happened for sure because all of my overclocking was cleared (and I had my settings restored to factory). I can't explain how that happened accidentally, because my PC has a CMOS button to clear that - and I guarantee that it did not get accidentally pressed.

And considering that I haven't had the issue since, I don't think there's an issue with my CMOS battery. So given that, I do not understand why that would happen, or how you could fix it - unless, as mentioned, that your brother's mobo has a bad CMOS battery. It's the small coin-shaped thing sitting on your motherboard. Without it, your mobo will use default settings, and try to guess the correct boot order. So if he is experiencing that issue often, he may want to try to order a new CMOS battery to see if it fixes the problem.

Outside of that, and given my level of experience, I'm not comfortable speculating further. Sorry.

Last edited:
Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#support-cpu
That board should support the 3700x. Try setting the ram back to the spd default, not the XMP and see if it helps. You have something that is just marginally off or you wouldn't post at all. Verify your thermals on the CPU and that fans are spinning and your cooler is set up right. Thermal paste was applied with the cooler right? I would also update bios to latest and reset the bios to defaults and see if the behavior changes. That should be 7C02v1E

Last edited: