[SOLVED] Why does my pc not turn on after a new cpu,

Jun 14, 2021
I had an old Pentium g3220 intel processor and wanted an upgrade. I got the Intel xeon e3 1220 v3 processor. Lga1150 both of them. After I installed (thermal paste and everything) the new processor my pc wouldn't turn on. The fans would spin for a second and then stop. The little light would do the same (lights up and then off). I tried putting the old cpu back and it still wouldn't work.
I have 4gbs ram, GTX 750 gpu and a 700watt PSU. Any help?

Solution
I had an old Pentium g3220 intel processor and wanted an upgrade. I got the Intel xeon e3 1220 v3 processor. Lga1150 both of them. After I installed (thermal paste and everything) the new processor my pc wouldn't turn on. The fans would spin for a second and then stop. The little light would do the same (lights up and then off). I tried putting the old cpu back and it still wouldn't work.
The problem is that you restored everything and it still didn't work. That may mean you broke something doing the swap. It is possible you bent one or more CPU socket pins in the swap. You really need to take the CPU out and look VERY closely for any bent pins.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
What motherboard?

kanewolf

Titan
The problem is that you restored everything and it still didn't work. That may mean you broke something doing the swap. It is possible you bent one or more CPU socket pins in the swap. You really need to take the CPU out and look VERY closely for any bent pins.

Solution
Jun 14, 2021
Everything seems fine to me. I think this is not the problem because the previous cpu was working fine and when I put the new one(which might be damaged or not), the PC wouldnt start. After i put back the old cpu it still didn't work and I don't know why. I also tried getting the BIOS battery out and waited a couple of minutes and then put it in and still it wouldnt turn on.

kanewolf

Titan
Everything seems fine to me. I think this is not the problem because the previous cpu was working fine and when I put the new one(which might be damaged or not), the PC wouldnt start. After i put back the old cpu it still didn't work and I don't know why. I also tried getting the BIOS battery out and waited a couple of minutes and then put it in and still it wouldnt turn on.
YES, that is the problem. Either the Xeon damaged your motherboard OR you damaged your motherboard. But putting the original CPU back, should have worked normally.

The socket pins are delicate.
If you did not drop the new cpu in cleanly, you likely damaged one of the socket pins.
This happens if you needed to smoosh the chip around to get it seated.
You can sometimes straighten the pins with a needle.
If you can't, the motherboard needs to be replaced.
Both processors are likely undamaged.