[SOLVED] Why does my PC not turning on even with power on the board?

May 22, 2020
Hi everyone, good day!

We recently bought a PSU from Facebook Marketplace. It is a Yido ATX-750w. I bought it because my brother recently bought an HIS RX 570. That desktop pc is for my youngest brother so we upgraded it eventually. Below are the specifications:

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz
HIS Radeon Rx 570 4GB
16GB RAM (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Western Digital 500GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-M LE

The previous PSU is a generic one at 600w. The desktop used to have i3 3220, Nvidia GT 630, and 1pc 8GB RAM. It runs smoothly before. Then my brother changed the processor to i7 described above, bought the GPU, then I bought the Yido psu. This desktop is bought last 2012. Only the HDD has been changed because the previous one died.

For the first 3 days, the pc is running great. Just the usual settings, no overclocking (I'm scared to do that lol), normal. My youngest bro can play games and do his graphics stuff (photoshop, video editing, etc.) like normal. On the 4th day, it started acting up. Whenever we try to power on the pc, it does nothing. There is power on the board. We made sure that all peripherals are seated properly. The cables are good. No bent pins and whatsoever. Now what I did to troubleshoot is I took off everything (cables, RAM, gpu, disks, etc), removed the CMOS battery, cpu, then reseated everything. The PC will power on normally and is usually running the whole day since my bro is using it for his school works and other stuff. The next day, the same problem will happen. I will remove everything, reseat them, and power on. This is frustrating because it wastes time.

I consulted with someone of this situation. Either the PSU has a problem or the motherboard is failing. He gave me tips on how to check the board through the BIOS and it seems healthy. I returned the psu to the seller for him to check with the tech people. For some reason, it worked smoothly for him and his other PCs. I asked him to try the other cables as well just to check.

I'm not ruling out the failing PSU yet. Is it possible that there may be compatibility issues with the other hardware? It's frustrating because we just spent money and almost all components are getting a bit expensive lately due to the pandemic. Many people are working from home, including me and my 2nd brother. The youngest still has school works and needs the pc up and running.

At the moment, I switched back to the old psu and using the on board graphics. At least he can still do his photoshop stuff, but I'm worried that it may not be enough for his other applications.

I also sent back the new psu to the seller for testing. From his end, it is working perfectly. He tested all other cables. He will have it checked with the warehouse though.

I'd like to know your thoughts on our problem. Is there anything that I still need to try?

Thank you!

Solution
Yes I am. It's working fine. GPU is also still good the last time I checked. Already did unplug, drained power, then plugged. The only time that the pc will turn on is to unplug all components then plug them again.

I suppose I'll just get a brand new one. any recommendations for a good brand? I'm looking at either Corsair or Coolermaster ones.

The Cooler Masters don't tend to be great until you get to their high end.

The Corsair CX (the recent ones, not the now-ancient ones with green text on the PSU) tend to be the go-to budget choice.

Though do take into consideration everything's a bit harder to find right now and a bit more expensive due to the COVID-19 supply interruptions.

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
unplug every usb device. one time my usb mic was
Hi everyone, good day!

We recently bought a PSU from Facebook Marketplace. It is a Yido ATX-750w. I bought it because my brother recently bought an HIS RX 570. That desktop pc is for my youngest brother so we upgraded it eventually. Below are the specifications:

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz
HIS Radeon Rx 570 4GB
16GB RAM (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Western Digital 500GB SSD
Seagate 2TB HDD
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-M LE

The previous PSU is a generic one at 600w. The desktop used to have i3 3220, Nvidia GT 630, and 1pc 8GB RAM. It runs smoothly before. Then my brother changed the processor to i7 described above, bought the GPU, then I bought the Yido psu. This desktop is bought last 2012. Only the HDD has been changed because the previous one died.

For the first 3 days, the pc is running great. Just the usual settings, no overclocking (I'm scared to do that lol), normal. My youngest bro can play games and do his graphics stuff (photoshop, video editing, etc.) like normal. On the 4th day, it started acting up. Whenever we try to power on the pc, it does nothing. There is power on the board. We made sure that all peripherals are seated properly. The cables are good. No bent pins and whatsoever. Now what I did to troubleshoot is I took off everything (cables, RAM, gpu, disks, etc), removed the CMOS battery, cpu, then reseated everything. The PC will power on normally and is usually running the whole day since my bro is using it for his school works and other stuff. The next day, the same problem will happen. I will remove everything, reseat them, and power on. This is frustrating because it wastes time.

I consulted with someone of this situation. Either the PSU has a problem or the motherboard is failing. He gave me tips on how to check the board through the BIOS and it seems healthy. I returned the psu to the seller for him to check with the tech people. For some reason, it worked smoothly for him and his other PCs. I asked him to try the other cables as well just to check.

I'm not ruling out the failing PSU yet. Is it possible that there may be compatibility issues with the other hardware? It's frustrating because we just spent money and almost all components are getting a bit expensive lately due to the pandemic. Many people are working from home, including me and my 2nd brother. The youngest still has school works and needs the pc up and running.

At the moment, I switched back to the old psu and using the on board graphics. At least he can still do his photoshop stuff, but I'm worried that it may not be enough for his other applications.

I also sent back the new psu to the seller for testing. From his end, it is working perfectly. He tested all other cables. He will have it checked with the warehouse though.

I'd like to know your thoughts on our problem. Is there anything that I still need to try?

Thank you!
Try unpluging all usb devices. one time my usb mic prevented my pc from booting. i thought it was a bad HDD.

May 22, 2020
unplug every usb device. one time my usb mic was

Try unpluging all usb devices. one time my usb mic prevented my pc from booting. i thought it was a bad HDD.
Already unplugged everything. I actually reseated all components (RAM, GPU, CPU, disks). It will power up the pc. The next day, the same problem will occur.

So you are currently using the old PSU with on board graphics and the PC is working without issue? If that's the case, the problem would likely be the PSU or graphics board.

OTOH, instead of disassembling the PC, you may want to unplug your PC, hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, than plug the PC back in and try to to boot your PC again.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unless the power supply seller is a trusted friend, I wouldn't take his word for the status of the unit. I'd say you've already wasted enough time on this and should probably consider moving on from it.

-Wolf sneds

I think if a trusted friend recommended this, I'd have to re-examine that relationship.

A 750W with no certifications that can be found for the equivalent of $17? Ouch.

May 22, 2020
So you are currently using the old PSU with on board graphics and the PC is working without issue? If that's the case, the problem would likely be the PSU or graphics board.

OTOH, instead of disassembling the PC, you may want to unplug your PC, hold down the power button for about 10 seconds, than plug the PC back in and try to to boot your PC again.
Yes I am. It's working fine. GPU is also still good the last time I checked. Already did unplug, drained power, then plugged. The only time that the pc will turn on is to unplug all components then plug them again.

I suppose I'll just get a brand new one. any recommendations for a good brand? I'm looking at either Corsair or Coolermaster ones.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

The Cooler Masters don't tend to be great until you get to their high end.

The Corsair CX (the recent ones, not the now-ancient ones with green text on the PSU) tend to be the go-to budget choice.

Though do take into consideration everything's a bit harder to find right now and a bit more expensive due to the COVID-19 supply interruptions.

Solution