[SOLVED] Why does my PC randomly restart?

Oct 31, 2019
Hello!

So I've had my PC now for almost 4 years and I recently bought a new NVIDIA graphics card (iChill Geforce GTX1070). Everything was going well, until recently, while playing games, my PC started to shut down, then restart for no reason.

First I thought, this may be because of overheating or something like that, so I've run MSI Afterburner with its Overlay whilst playing. My PC shut off at around 45°C, which, normally, shouldn't really be a problem. So I thought, maybe it wasn't the GPU? So I ran this overclocking scanner test on the MSI application and without anything major running in the background and my PC just shut off in the middle at the end of the test and restarted again.

Considering all this, I'm pretty sure it's the PSU (Corsair VS550). But I wanted to be certain before spending another 50 bucks on something that may not even be necessary.

All of my parts are pretty old (except the GPU) but they've been working fine until the graphics card came, so I don't believe it's any of them.

Please help me find out whats the cause of this, do I even need to buy anything?

Specs:
CPU: i5-4460
GPU: iChill Geforce GTX1070
PSU: Corsair VS550
Motherboard: ASRock H97 Pro4

Solution
Hello!

So I've had my PC now for almost 4 years and I recently bought a new NVIDIA graphics card (iChill Geforce GTX1070). Everything was going well, until recently, while playing games, my PC started to shut down, then restart for no reason.

First I thought, this may be because of overheating or something like that, so I've run MSI Afterburner with its Overlay whilst playing. My PC shut off at around 45°C, which, normally, shouldn't really be a problem. So I thought, maybe it wasn't the GPU? So I ran this overclocking scanner test on the MSI application and without anything major running in the background and my PC just shut off in the middle at the end of the test and restarted again.

Considering all this, I'm pretty sure it's...

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Hello!

Considering all this, I'm pretty sure it's the PSU (Corsair VS550). But I wanted to be certain before spending another 50 bucks on something that may not even be necessary.

All of my parts are pretty old (except the GPU) but they've been working fine until the graphics card came, so I don't believe it's any of them.

Please help me find out whats the cause of this, do I even need to buy anything?

Specs:

what kind of ram do you have in the system and are you running anything extra like rgb fans leds, etc?

nhardinger2003

Honorable
May 28, 2018
Hello!

Specs:

what kind of ram do you have in the system and are you running anything extra like rgb fans leds, etc? It kinda sounds like the computer is getting to a certian spot and then it sends a kill code to shut down the pc. Right now with everything you have given me and assuming your running at the very least 8 gigs of ram, your at around 312 watts used out of that 550 w psu. Unless its going bad i doubt your running out of wattage. I feel like a component may be sending a kill code.

Solution
Oct 31, 2019
what kind of ram do you have in the system and are you running anything extra like rgb fans leds, etc? It kinda sounds like the computer is getting to a certian spot and then it sends a kill code to shut down the pc. Right now with everything you have given me and assuming your running at the very least 8 gigs of ram, your at around 312 watts used out of that 550 w psu. Unless its going bad i doubt your running out of wattage. I feel like a component may be sending a kill code.

I have 8 gigs of ram, DDR3 I believe and currently only one 100mm fan. I also have a 2 TB disk.

The vs series PSU aren't that good. How old is it?

It's like 4-5 years old.