Question Why does my pc sometimes not power off

Just recently i have had quiet a few occasions where my pc has kept running after i have exited the desktop and i have nothing on screen.
My coolermaster haf x tower has a reset button on it and if i press it the pc boots back to desktop and i then shut it down but i am not sure if over use of the reset can damage or corrupt something.

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
Just recently i have had quiet a few occasions where my pc has kept running after i have exited the desktop and i have nothing on screen.
My coolermaster haf x tower has a reset button on it and if i press it the pc boots back to desktop and i then shut it down but i am not sure if over use of the reset can damage or corrupt something.
How do you “exit the desktop”? It sounds like you are just signing out your user from the computer. If that’s correct, it is completely unnecessary. Just click the Start Button (Windows icon), then click the Power icon, and click shut down after saving any work that is.

jcarter12

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Explain what steps you are doing to "exit the desktop". Are you hitting ALT+F4 and selecting "sign out" or are you signing out from the start menu?

I agree with CJ, if you are wanting to turn the PC off when you are done, just shut down from the start menu.

Mattp2017

Honorable
Jan 25, 2017

Try these fixes....
View: https://youtu.be/w0D6kGDASVY

test: disconnect your network before attempting to shutdown
see if it completes.
(this is for cases where a remote device on the same network is streaming from your machine and blocks shutdown. (xbox, alexa, another pc being feed updates)
(generally the fix for this is a setting in windows control panel, power management, multimedia setting (allow device to shutdown while sharing media)
(I would have to look up the exact setting)

edit: control panel->hardware and sound->power options->edit plan settings select change advanced settings:
scroll down to multimedia settings,
look at when plugged in prevent idle to sleep. click on option and select let computer sleep.
happens if you have media players installed.

you could also turn on verbose logging messages to see what windows is doing:

you can also run cmd.exe as admin and run
powercfg.exe /energy
(see report)
or
powercfg.exe /sleepstudy
(see the reports)

look for a power request override
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ice-experiences/powercfg-command-line-options

i think some motherboards will still run the cpu cooler for some time period after you do a shutdown. not sure what the delay is. 30 seconds?

info on turning off fast startup for fans not shutting off:
https://www.thebestmotherboard.com/...ttings. Follow these steps to accomplish this.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS