Why does my PC still crash eventho I upgraded ?

Aug 8, 2018
Hello guys

Is my build sufficient to play games such as Witchers, Ark or Final Fantasy?

Today I was done with building the new Pc build but just like before some demanding games still crash, games such as Cs go or League always were running normally.

I always check on Tab Manager when I notice a crash, and the CPU temperature is good as well as the memory performance and GPU performance.
I did a complete reset on multiple occasions in the past and also not so long ago and I downloaded/updated the appropriate drivers.

An other thing to note is that besides my GPU, monitor and PSU everything is upgraded.

I've been struggling with the crashes for about 2 years I'd say and now that I upgraded a few components it still feels frustrating that it's not working. So I'll be glad if I could get some help.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Here is my build:

-CPU : Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core Processor
-Motherboard : Asus Z370-P Gaming
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200 CL16
Storage : Samsung 850 Evo SSD Series 500GB
Storage: ST2000DM001-CH164 (had it before)
Video Card: Palit Geforce Gtx 770 2GB Nvidia Jetstream (had it before)
Case: Fractal Design R6
Power Supply: Be Quiet Pure Power L8 630W (had it before)
Monitor: Samsung S27C350H8 60 Hz (had it before)

Lutfij

Titan
How old is that PSU? Are you on the latest BIOS for your platform. If you're experiencing this issue with your previous build/past 2 years then the likely culprit is either you have a grounding issue or your PSU is the faulty unit here. You can rule out the PSU by using a donor unit which is f similar build quality. You can rule out the case by breadboarding the system and securing another wall outlet in your house to rule out faulty wiring in your house/case.

Supported memory for i5-8400 is DDR4-2666MHz.

Overclocking to use 3200MHz memory may be difficult with a CPU that has a locked multiplier. I would try adjusting your memory settings to a 2666MHz memory clock speed. You can also adjust your DRAM timings and voltage too for that speed.

Aug 8, 2018

Thank you for the quick answer,
I am aware that my CPU is locked but I bought the 3200MHz just to be future proof, but the thing with adjusting my memory setting Is a good Idea I will try it out because I have it set on Auto.
Even before upgrading the memory I had the crashes occur so I doubt it's a memory issue.

I will adjust the settings thank you for the tip.

Aug 8, 2018

Thank you for your answer

I bought The PSU along my GPU back in 2014 and yes I am on the latest BIOS since I had to update the drivers along with motherboard today morning.

My guess is that it is indeed the PSU as the GPU shouldn't have any problem and it can still handle the games. but what is a PSU donor unit and how can I breadboard the system , do I need to get a special tool.

Also in the past the PC used to be in my room and now I switched its place and I put it in the basement.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
So the HDD, GPU and PSU are the consistents? What about the SSD? Is this a clean OS install, on this hardware?

If it is, then look to the consistent components.

PSU is a possibility, as is the GPU. HDD less so, but still potential (if the games are stored on it?).

What happens when you crash? Typically a PSU-based issue will result in a shutdown, whereas a driver issue will crash to desktop & an outright GPU issue could crash to desktop, or just a loss of display (but the system is still "on").

Aug 8, 2018

Thank you for your time,

And what if it is the GPU since it's the only other component from before, not counting the HDD?

PS: I will check the recommended PSUs u wrote about

thank you

Aug 8, 2018

Yes the HDD, GPU and the PSU are the consistent components, the SSD has only windows on it since I got it back In February.

I have stored 3 games on the HDD which is the place where I store my pictures, music and games , as for the SSD I stored one game there that I was planning on playing (FF15).

When it crashes I noticed that I don't get redirected to the desktop and it's also not a shutdown. What happens is that the Image becomes frozen sometimes I can still hear my character do actions for 1-3 seconds when I try to control it and then as per usual only the background music continues until I close the game. When happens I can just tab out to the desktop to close the game via Task Manager.

Aug 8, 2018

I have removed the GPU drivers with DDU in safe mode (I used the guide on the website so that I could use DDU without problems). I then reinstalled all drivers from the NVidia webpage.
However the problem still persists , I tried to run final fantasy and the game crashed after 3min just like previously, and it's the same pattern , image freezes but music goes on.

I still don't know how to fix it.

Aug 8, 2018

But then how can I try running any demanding games like witchers with an integrated gpu ?

Aug 8, 2018

Oh ok thank you I'll try

OK so I've been trying to run final fantasy 15 and I could play it with 14 FPS but it still managed to not crash where it would have if I had the GPU (during a fight in a forest ). I tested the game for like 8min without the GPU and it it didn't crash where as with the GPU it would've crashed the second I started the battle.

So this means that it's my GPU that is the culprit ?