[SOLVED] Why does my pc stop working when playing certain games

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
I had this problem for 2 weeks now. My computer crashes everytime I play a game . A few days ago I could play roblox and the pc wouldn't crash but now even when I play the same game on roblox, my pc still crashes after like 1 min of playing . I can't play Skyrim or Saints row , or any game . I can hear the audio and the pc is still running but the monitor also stops working . After a short period of time the sound also stops and everything is fine again when I restart the pc . I noticed that the gpu fans also stop working when the monitor shuts down.
Specs:CPU i3 6098p
GPU: gt 730
12 GB RAM
250 W PSU
Please help , I didn't have this problem before and it got annoying.

Solution
Alright , the temp on 58% fan speed is min 41 max 53 ON IDLE. When I get into game it crashes instantly probably 'cos the temp is too high
Temp on CPU1 :Min 26 max 42
Temp on CPU2 :Min 26 max 42
My brother decided to get some thermal conductor paste for the gpu , is it a good ideea?
Regarding the high temperature on idle...it's still within the safe range though it is very high for idle..
check and see if the GPU is dusty and clean it. you can apply thermal conductor afterward.
CPU Temp is good. As for GPU, you can always increase the fan speed to almost max as long as the fan spinning noise doesn't bother you. In my case I set it to 75%-85%

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
You probably need a new GPU as it could possibly be the culprit.
The sudden crash is usually due to overheating issues so by crashing, it prevents your GPU from burning and that might be the case.
As for now, download MSI Afterburner and tweak the Fan Speed to around 50%-60%
Also track down the GPU temperature on both idle and while under load within the program and let me know. On idle the temp should range between 30c to 35c and 60c to 70c under load. here's what you're looking at:
SmPrtVW.png

Also if you can provide CPU temperature by scrolling down bottom right corner until you find CPU temperature, that would be helpful information.

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
You probably need a new GPU as it could possibly be the culprit.
The sudden crash is usually due to overheating issues so by crashing, it prevents your GPU from burning and that might be the case.
As for now, download MSI Afterburner and tweak the Fan Speed to around 50%-60%
Also track down the GPU temperature on both idle and while under load within the program and let me know. On idle the temp should range between 30c to 35c and 60c to 70c under load. here's what you're looking at:
SmPrtVW.png

Also if you can provide CPU temperature by scrolling down bottom right corner until you find CPU temperature, that would be helpful information.
Alright , the temp on 58% fan speed is min 41 max 53 ON IDLE. When I get into game it crashes instantly probably 'cos the temp is too high
My brother decided to get some thermal conductor paste for the gpu , is it a good ideea?

AshMetalRaf

Reputable
Sep 19, 2018
Regarding the high temperature on idle...it's still within the safe range though it is very high for idle..
check and see if the GPU is dusty and clean it. you can apply thermal conductor afterward.
CPU Temp is good. As for GPU, you can always increase the fan speed to almost max as long as the fan spinning noise doesn't bother you. In my case I set it to 75%-85%

Solution

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
Thanks for your support ,I am going to clean my gpu of dust and apply the thermal conductor paste ,I'm going to come with an update

FamilyFriendly101

Reputable
Nov 5, 2019
My brother changed the thermal paste on the gpu and now it's way better but still bad. Before the pc would crash in less than 1 min and now he played League of Legends for 45~ mins and it crashed but , It automatically restarted itself ,before we had to press the button on the case to restart itself.Should I just upgrade to a gt 1030? (I'm on a very low budget and I'm fine playing games 720p with low settings) rather than buying a cooler?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
My brother changed the thermal paste on the gpu and now it's way better but still bad. Before the pc would crash in less than 1 min and now he played League of Legends for 45~ mins and it crashed but , It automatically restarted itself ,before we had to press the button on the case to restart itself.Should I just upgrade to a gt 1030? (I'm on a very low budget and I'm fine playing games 720p with low settings) rather than buying a cooler?
Have you done this yet?
check eventviewer and reliabilty history as well for clues as to what may be happeing