Why does my pc turn off and on?

ron9532

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Hi, I need help with my computer because it all started when I was playing elite dangerous and went to exit out to get ready for bed. but then as I was exiting the game my computer just turned off. about two seconds later it turned on, another 2 seconds it turned off and it repeats over and over. so I thought it was the PSU, so I bought a new PSU to try and see if that was the problem. but it still gave me the same problem. so what I did was took out the GPU assuming that was the problem because I just received the replacement and installed it so I thought I might have installed it wrong, took it out, left it out, and tried and see if the computer will start up. It still gave me the problem so it wasn't the GPU. so I'm out of options, what could this problem? If it's not the PSU nor the GPU, then what is it? I've also check if everything was connected too, so that's not it. Plus it's a new build about one month old.

Solution
Its an issue with the motherboard.

Either the board itself is being shorted, maybee the button is stuck.

First thing Iwould try is to remove the front pin header for the power button and see if that stops it.

If that does no work I woudl check all cables and make sure the mobo is not grounding to the case.

If still having issues I would reset CMOS on motherboard.

If still having problems, contact board manufacturer for RMA.
Its an issue with the motherboard.

Either the board itself is being shorted, maybee the button is stuck.

First thing Iwould try is to remove the front pin header for the power button and see if that stops it.

If that does no work I woudl check all cables and make sure the mobo is not grounding to the case.

If still having issues I would reset CMOS on motherboard.

If still having problems, contact board manufacturer for RMA.

Solution
I've had several motherboards that do that. It's a pretty common error. First thing to do, obviously, is to check in the bios that it's not set to automatically turn on after it 'loses' power - I've seen that be overaggressive before.

Then, carefully and safely, clean it if it's very dusty, to prevent shorts from happeniing.

ron9532

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014

Thank You, The problem was that i had to reset the CMOS, just like you said, Thank You Very Much.