[SOLVED] Why does my ping skyrocket when screen is focused on game?

Mar 26, 2020
Very recently, my ping in games like Valorant and Apex Legends have been extremely high, like >300 ms high. I found this odd as other games like R6 and Battlefront had no issues.
I then found out that when I Alt+Tab into Discord, my ping goes back down. Then when I Alt+Tab back into the game, my ping shows 14ms then slowly climbs back to 300 in a matter of seconds.

Why is this and how can I fix it? I'm not closing the game, my screen just isn't focused on it whenever it goes back down.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
It's possible that the servers for the game you're playing(Valorant) is undergoing some heavy network traffic. Have you tried other titles apart from the 3 mentioned above? You could see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your motherboard. You might also want to see if uninstalling and reinstalling your networking adapter's drivers changes the issue.

Lutfij

Titan
It's possible that the servers for the game you're playing(Valorant) is undergoing some heavy network traffic. Have you tried other titles apart from the 3 mentioned above? You could see if you have any BIOS updates pending for your motherboard. You might also want to see if uninstalling and reinstalling your networking adapter's drivers changes the issue.

Solution