[SOLVED] Why does my ryzen 5 3600 getting the same render/export speed results compared to my old i5-4460?

chiezweez

Prominent
Jul 26, 2020
Hello. I just built a new pc using my old graphics card which is a gtx950. My old pc is an i5-4460 (stock) paired with 12gb of ram and my new pc is a ryzen 5 3600 (stock) with 16gb of ram. Im getting the same results in terms of speed in rendering and exporting h264 1080p using premiere pro. I'm really confused. I don't know what to do anymore. Also, its hitting 93c while rendering/exporting. It's probably because of the stock cooler and it's hot in the Philippines. Would really appreciate any feedback from you guys.

Solution
UPDATE

I bought a cheap Snowman T6 Dual Fan air cooler and I am now getting 38c on idle, 71c on prime95 and 80c while rendering with PBO, CPB turned on while using stock PPT and voltage settings.

chiezweez

Prominent
Jul 26, 2020
Your CPU is throttling. What does your case fan arrangement look like? Did you remove the plastic cover off the base of the cooler before it was installed?
My case has only one exhaust fan. I'm planning to add more for intake and another exhaust. I'm already looking into different air coolers for my processor. Yep, I did remove the plastic cover. I already tried reinstalling the stock cooler. Now what really bothers me is the performance I'm getting out of my ryzen 5 3600. Is it also because of the heat?

My case has only one exhaust fan. I'm planning to add more for intake and another exhaust. I'm already looking into different air coolers for my processor. Yep, I did remove the plastic cover. I already tried reinstalling the stock cooler. Now what really bothers me is the performance I'm getting out of my ryzen 5 3600. Is it also because of the heat?
You need more fans. A couple intake and a couple exhaust. With the temps hitting 93° your CPU is throttling down to save itself. Also, what speed is your RAM? Is it installed in the correct slots? Is it running at correct speeds and in dual channel mode?

Go to https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and run the test. Post a link to your results.

chiezweez

Prominent
Jul 26, 2020
You need more fans. A couple intake and a couple exhaust. With the temps hitting 93° your CPU is throttling down to save itself. Also, what speed is your RAM? Is it installed in the correct slots? Is it running at correct speeds and in dual channel mode?

Go to https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and run the test. Post a link to your results.
My RAM is currently running at 2133 because I disabled A-XMP (hoping it will make any difference, hahaha) but it can run 3200 cause I already tried it. It's in dual channel when I checked on CPU-Z.

UserBenchmarks: Game 28%, Desk 83%, Work 69%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 - 78.1%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 950 - 20.5%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 250GB - 122.1%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016) - 95.9%
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 67.3%
MBD: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA (MS-7C95)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31075862

Before investing into fans you should get into bios and make sure the settings are ok,a lot of times mobo makers use way too much Volts which causes high temps,you should look up a guide and see if you can undervolt your system.

Also first look at your CPU clocks,92 degrees is very high but it doesn't necessarily mean that your clocks are throttling.

chiezweez

Prominent
Jul 26, 2020
Before investing into fans you should get into bios and make sure the settings are ok,a lot of times mobo makers use way too much Volts which causes high temps,you should look up a guide and see if you can undervolt your system.

Also first look at your CPU clocks,92 degrees is very high but it doesn't necessarily mean that your clocks are throttling.

I also tried undervolting. Making an offset value of 0.0500. Did not made any noticeable difference and I also read somewhere that undervolting is not recommended and that it should stay at it's default settings.

I monitored my cpu temps while it's rendering and I'm getting up to 93c, it will stay there for a little while and will suddenly plunge to 65c and will cause my pc to stutter then temps will ramp up again. I guess it's throttling.

chiezweez

Prominent
Jul 26, 2020
UPDATE

I bought a cheap Snowman T6 Dual Fan air cooler and I am now getting 38c on idle, 71c on prime95 and 80c while rendering with PBO, CPB turned on while using stock PPT and voltage settings.

Solution