Question Why does my screen go blank after loading into windows?

Apr 27, 2021
Video here:
View: https://youtu.be/8AeBmixq4U0

Specs;
CPU: Intel i5-3330
RAM: 6GB
Motherboard: I dont know
Graphics card: none

I've tried restarting, going into system restore (which it does it again after a while), and trying a different monitor. I really hope there is a way to fix this

Try booting windows in safe mode(f8)
That will load windows with a minimum of drivers.

Somewhere along the line, there is a bad driver or startup task.

To verify that your hardware is basically ok,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

InvalidError

Titan
Yup, safe mode would be one of the first things to try, running memtest86 for a while (5+ complete passes, I usually do it for 10h overnight when I install new RAM or put a new PC together) doesn't hurt either, especially if you have never done so to make reasonably sure you aren't chasing an intermittent RAM flaw.

If the PSU is nearly as old as the rest of the system, the sudden shutdown at the same point that Windows is loading drivers and re-initializing stuff to a higher performance mode could be due to the worn PSU being at the end of its rope.

Apr 27, 2021
Try booting windows in safe mode(f8)
That will load windows with a minimum of drivers.

Somewhere along the line, there is a bad driver or startup task.

To verify that your hardware is basically ok,
Run memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
How would I boot into safe mode?

InvalidError

Titan
Does that mean I should reinstall wndows?
If it is running fine now, there is no reason to do so until you run into seemingly unfixable issues again.

Re-installing Windows is somewhat of a last-ditch effort at eliminating as many variables as possible before chasing intermittent hardware issues or weird compatibility problem. I usually do that on a spare HDD/SSD so I can just revert to the original install when a clean install makes no difference or dual-boot between the two until I'm done migrating everything over to the new drive.

Does that mean I should reinstall wndows?
Your hardware is ok so the issue is with windows.
If you want to preserve your settings and installed apps, try system restore back to when things were good.
There are likely some previous restore points which you can try.
If all else fails, do a clean install from windows downloaded from the official windows web site.

If you are not using a ssd now, this would be a good time to convert.
You will be pleased on how quick your pc becomes with a ssd.
500gb Samsung 870 EVO is about $65.

Attach no other drives when doing such an install on the ssd.
You can attach your hdd later to recover any data folders. Apps using the registry will need to be reinstalled.

Apr 27, 2021
If it is running fine now, there is no reason to do so until you run into seemingly unfixable issues again.

Re-installing Windows is somewhat of a last-ditch effort at eliminating as many variables as possible before chasing intermittent hardware issues or weird compatibility problem. I usually do that on a spare HDD/SSD so I can just revert to the original install when a clean install makes no difference or dual-boot between the two until I'm done migrating everything over to the new drive.
You told me it could be a windows corruption. How do I fix that?

Apr 27, 2021
Your hardware is ok so the issue is with windows.
If you want to preserve your settings and installed apps, try system restore back to when things were good.
There are likely some previous restore points which you can try.
If all else fails, do a clean install from windows downloaded from the official windows web site.

If you are not using a ssd now, this would be a good time to convert.
You will be pleased on how quick your pc becomes with a ssd.
500gb Samsung 870 EVO is about $65.

Attach no other drives when doing such an install on the ssd.
You can attach your hdd later to recover any data folders. Apps using the registry will need to be reinstalled.
I've already system restored before when it was happening and it happened eventually again. But this time in the middle of nowhere while I was doing something on it it just blank screened and the pc was still on but i couldnt do anything

I've already system restored before when it was happening and it happened eventually again. But this time in the middle of nowhere while I was doing something on it it just blank screened and the pc was still on but i couldnt do anything
Something, post restore is corrupting your system.
Since you can get windows working, at least initially, look for the source of that corruption.
First thing, set windows up so that it will not ever update drivers, particularly graphics drivers.
If you get a game that needs a graphics driver update, download it directly from the source.

Avoid "helper" apps that may contain malware or worse .
run your virus checker and malwarebytes to look for suspicious code that may enter your sustem.

Apr 27, 2021
Something, post restore is corrupting your system.
Since you can get windows working, at least initially, look for the source of that corruption.
First thing, set windows up so that it will not ever update drivers, particularly graphics drivers.
If you get a game that needs a graphics driver update, download it directly from the source.

Avoid "helper" apps that may contain malware or worse .
run your virus checker and malwarebytes to look for suspicious code that may enter your sustem.
Virus couldn't exist on a pc that i finished building yesterday and only installed chrome, speccy, and firefox on. There is no graphics card in it. there is no game.

InvalidError

Titan
Virus couldn't exist on a pc that i finished building yesterday and only installed chrome, speccy, and firefox on. There is no graphics card in it. there is no game.
Fresh install or re-used drive that already had Windows on it? If it is fresh, then OS corruption would be unlikely unless the OS got corrupted by bad hardware (ex.: RAM) during installation.

Intermittent memory bits can be difficult to catch. I had an intermittent bit on the extra 4GB of RAM I tossed in my Core 2 system and it took 5 passes to get the first memory error and then got two more at the same address and bit over the next three passes.

Have you installed all of the motherboard, chipset and graphics drivers?
The original ones will have come on the cd that accompanied your motherboard.
They should work ok.
There may be later ones on the motherboard web sites or intel.
Do not take the simple " install all" option which may introduce bloatware and possibly destructive software.

InvalidError

Titan
The original ones will have come on the cd that accompanied your motherboard.
They should work ok.
Plenty of people don't have a CD/DVD drive in their PCs anymore. Last time I needed to use my DVD drive, all I did was find out that it was no longer working despite hardly ever been used so I had to go get a new one.

Windows has all of the essential generic drivers necessary to get going on typical platforms baked into the install image so Windows can finish updating itself by pulling much newer drivers than what would be on the CD that came with the motherboard for such an old platform, skipping the bloat and grossly outdated on-CD driver bugs. If Windows Updates cannot find something, you are still better off downloading fresh than using the CD anyway unless you have no internet access and must absolutely get the PC ready now.

Apr 27, 2021
Plenty of people don't have a CD/DVD drive in their PCs anymore. Last time I needed to use my DVD drive, all I did was find out that it was no longer working despite hardly ever been used so I had to go get a new one.

Windows has all of the essential generic drivers necessary to get going on typical platforms baked into the install image so Windows can finish updating itself by pulling much newer drivers than what would be on the CD that came with the motherboard for such an old platform, skipping the bloat and grossly outdated on-CD driver bugs. If Windows Updates cannot find something, you are still better off downloading fresh than using the CD anyway unless you have no internet access and must absolutely get the PC ready now.
This isn't windows. I did a fresh reinstall of it and it did it 3 minutes in to being on windows with chrome open. Maybe it cant handle chrome and windows at the same tiume. The ram I mean. I only got 6 gb of ram. But now it keeps doing it over and over again wit hthe loading screen too. i dont know what else could fix this. and the stress test on the ram came back with 0 errors and 4 passes so idk