Question Why does my sound card disappear in UEFI mode?

Feb 4, 2022
I'm running an ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 motherboard (bios 2501) in BIOS/CSM mode. However, I'm at the point where I need to do a reinstall of Windows 10 so I would like to try UEFI mode. I did this but in UEFI mode my sound card can't be seen by the OS. It all works fine in BIOS/CSM mode and everything else worked as expected in UEFI mode, it's just my sound card that has an issue. it's a PCI-E Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro, and I've tried changing PCI-E slots, to no avail. Any suggestions?

Please don't tell me just to run in BIOS/CSM mode as I can figure out that one on my own.

Thanks for any help/opinion offered.

Andrew

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The soundcard you're dealing with was released in 2008, earlier if you consider the X-Fi to be just a rebadged sound card. Back then UEFI was non existent and motherboard vendors shoehorned BIOS updates to have their boards have partial/full UEFI support until it was widely adopted in latter platforms/generations, so the logical answer is that the sound card is not a UEFI compatible device.

On a side note, where did you source the installer for the OS?

Feb 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The soundcard you're dealing with was released in 2008, earlier if you consider the X-Fi to be just a rebadged sound card. Back then UEFI was non existent and motherboard vendors shoehorned BIOS updates to have their boards have partial/full UEFI support until it was widely adopted in latter platforms/generations, so the logical answer is that the sound card is not a UEFI compatible device.

On a side note, where did you source the installer for the OS?
Regarding the installer; I use ISO from Microsoft. as for the age of the card, and my hardware in general, I wondered about the compatibility. I guess I need to update my system, I know it won't support Windows 11.. Thanks for your response.

Best regards.

Andrew

Feb 4, 2022
Are you saying that the Device Manager does not show the card? Did you download the June 2019 driver software pack and install that? Does the card not show after that?

https://support.creative.com/Produc...PCI+Express+X-Fi+Titanium+Fatal1ty+Pro+Series
That's right, it never appeared in the device manager, not even as a generic audio device. I have downloaded the latest driver from the Creative support site but it couldn't see any compatible soundcard and wouldn't install.

That's right, it never appeared in the device manager, not even as a generic audio device. I have downloaded the latest driver from the Creative support site but it couldn't see any compatible soundcard and wouldn't install.
And the HD Azalia Device is Disabled in the BIOS? Since there's a lot of interrupt sharing in your motherboard, how many of the sata ports are you using and it is possible to change those the see if one of the ports is affecting the sound card's interrupt sharing?

Feb 4, 2022
The Azalia device is disabled id bios. As I stated in my original post, I have no issues with it when my mb is in BIOS /CSM mode. I'm using four of the sata ports and the external staa port is disabled in bios. As for interrupt sharing, if it can do it in CSM mode, why wouldn't it be able to do it in UEFI mode? Do you have experience with any of the same hardware?

Thank you for your continued interest in helping me.