Question Why does my WiFi adapter start fast and then slow down?

Feb 16, 2019
Hi folks,

I'm currently about 8 feet from my router, through 2 walls. I bought a decently rated Chinese WiFi adapter (one with those rubber antennas on it), and my connection was solid for a good 2 weeks. I had virtually no problems. My connection was barely slower than when I was directly into the modem. Then I started slowing down. A LOT. My ping in games would just from 30 to 500 and it was horrendous. I would sometimes just reconnect the adapter and it worked.

Then that stopped working. I was using a speedtest and found that when I plug this adapter in, I am getting about 13 Megabits per sec. Then it starts to drop to 2 or even 1 within a few seconds. It seems like it works good for a while, and then becomes extremely slow. I barely have any other devices connected to WiFi. As I type this, I believe only my girlfriends phone is connected, and she is not even using it. Yet, I get horrible speeds.

I also bought a cheaper TP-Link adapter, installed their driver, uninstalled the other adapters drivers, but this is no better. Why is my connection so bad? I've used this same TP-Link adapter in the past, at a much greater distance, and had a great connection.

Ideas?

Feb 16, 2019
Now I'm getting upwards of 60 Megabits down per second. I think this has something to do with a bluetooth speaker she was using to play music.

Any input besides just get a long cable?