Question Why does my Win 10 PC randomly restart when Idle and then immediately boots up when shutting down?

dakkonsbane

Prominent
Feb 3, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I am at wits end here and am hoping one of you good people might be to assist me! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My PC has started to randomly restart when it sits idle and will restart multiple times a day. The computer will boot up, the speakers pop, and it starts up in the windows login, none of my previously opened items are closed and the startup programs don't re-initiate as they would if I actually did a restart through windows/hit the reset button. There is no problems when its in use or is under a heavy load. As a side note if I shutdown the computer through windows it automatically boots right up again instead of staying powered down, not sure if this is linked or a side issue. I haven't been able to try it by holding the power button down as unfortunately my Phanteks case the power switch was dead on arrival so I made do for about a year now and a new switch is being shipped to me.

Here are my system specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 Gaming Motherboard LGA1151
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz Eight-Core LGA 1151 Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72 360mm - RL-KRX72-01 - AIO RGB CPU Liquid Cooler
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
Graphics Card: Gigabyte Aorus GeForce RTX 2080 Xtreme 8GB
Hard Drives: Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe
Western Digital 1TB WD Blue
Power Supply: Corsair HXi Series HX850i 850W 80 Plus Platinum

To Date I have tried the following:

1. Turned off Automatic Restart Feature - no effect.
  2. Updated my BIOS to the latest version.
  3. I tried changing the power options settings between Balanced and High Performance, this had no effect and I haven't yet tried changing the minimum processor state.
  4. Ran Memtest86 and found no errors with any of my RAM.
  5. Used HWMonitorPro to determine if my computer was overheating and found no issues while idle or under heavy load.
  6. I have run scans with my paid copies of Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, and System Mechanic - all have come back negative.
  7. I have also performed a clean re-install of windows with drive re-formatting. Re-installed all drivers, updates, etc... - No effect.
  8. I reset my BIOS back to the optimized defaults to check if my overclocking had any effect - this too had no effect.
At this point I am not sure what else to try and am wondering if maybe my PSU needs replaced. If any of you have any possible suggestions or fixes please let me know. I am also more than happy to upload my event viewer logs to thread if that would be helpful.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS