[SOLVED] Why does my x570 not detecting my M.2 NVMe drive?

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
First at all this is my drive https://www.xpg.com/us/feature/487/
and this is my mobo https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS

The drive was working fine on my old laptop then I built my first PC with B360M PRO-VH and I5 8400 and moved the drive and installed Windows on it. Life was easy for the past couple of years until I decided to upgrade the CPU to Ryzen 7 3700x and got the x570 with it. This mobo is not detecting my M.2 drive and always showing Not Present. I almost tried everything, updating BIOS, switching M.2 slots, unplugging other drives, played with BIOS settings, clearing CMOS, I even installed Windows on a SATA SSD and updated the chipset from AMD website. Btw the M.2 drive is still being detected in my old laptop so it's not faulty.

Beside all of this, the x570 post and Windows boot become super slow when the M.2 is installed like 80sec to boot and when I remove the drive it come back to 15sec.

So is there something I'm missing?

Is Windows still installed on that M2 drive ? Since it was installed for an Intel system, it's not surprising that a brand new AMD system does not work with it, drivers etc.. are completely different.
It is either that, or your TWO M2 slots are faulty ! Do you see that M2 drive in the BIOS ?

Ans also this PCIe SSD is not on the compatibility list for your motherboard
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-X570-GAMING-PLUS#support-hdd
Look under compatible Devices - storage
Not sure what that means

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Is Windows still installed on that M2 drive ? Since it was installed for an Intel system, it's not surprising that a brand new AMD system does not work with it, drivers etc.. are completely different.
It is either that, or your TWO M2 slots are faulty ! Do you see that M2 drive in the BIOS ?
Yes Windows is installed on the M.2 drive but it's not showing on BIOS meanwhile when it's attached to the mobo it makes post time and booting Windows from the SSD SATA super long. Also, it's a brand new mobo I don't think that it has 2 faulty slots

Yes Windows is installed on the M.2 drive but it's not showing on BIOS meanwhile when it's attached to the mobo it makes post time and booting Windows from the SSD SATA super long. Also, it's a brand new mobo I don't think that it has 2 faulty slots
I edited my post, for the possible compatibility issue.
Could explain why it does not appear in BIOS.

The slow booting could be due to the fact that at first it tries to boot from the M2 drive, finds out it's not possible, and switches to the SATA SSD.
Takes some time

Last edited:

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
-Attached to Mobo and boot taking too long(remove the m.2 and try basic SATA3 HDD/SS or other M.2 SATA)
-is XPG.....

Answer:
i am concerning this might be incompatible problem with the M.2 on your particular Mobo itself.

Other way around:
-use other M.2 to try it out
-use WinPe win10 installation via USB, you can see a possible drive detected by the window Installation Software.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
-Attached to Mobo and boot taking too long(remove the m.2 and try basic SATA3 HDD/SS or other M.2 SATA)
-is XPG.....

Answer:
i am concerning this might be incompatible problem with the M.2 on your particular Mobo itself.

Other way around:
-use other M.2 to try it out
-use WinPe win10 installation via USB, you can see a possible drive detected by the window Installation Software.
It could be an issue with incompatibility.

I already installed Windows 10 on an SSD SATA as I mentioned, it didn't detect the M.2 but it is working better than I was expecting so I'm keeping it. I will try a new M.2 when I find a good deal. this time will go with a Samsung