Why does my xfx radeon hd 6850 have two 6-pin connectors?

QriusGuy

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
So I just purchased a xfx radeon hd 6850 (HD-685X-ZCFC) and it runs great and beautiful on my rig, but I'm confused on why my 6850 need two 6-pin pci-e power connectors? I've read reviews praising one of its big pros as having only 1 x 6-pin to save power consumption. I also read a guy leaving feedback on newegg praising the fact that the same exact model had only one. Even according to amd the 6850 should have one and the 6870 should have 2...SO WHY DOES MY 6850 HAVE TWO!!! I've searched online and can't find any info. Is my card using more power than a regular 6850? Is it less effecient? was there a redesign? Am I using 6870 architecture? I can play it and it runs but i want to know if im getting screwed over when it comes to power saving?

4745454b

Titan
6850 is supposed to have only one plug. Only reasons I can think of to use two is its using the same PCB as the 6870, or you have an OC'd to heck model and it needs the more power. Remember that the 6790 uses the same core as the 6850/70, but uses the 6870s PCB. Maybe some companies have just started using the same PCB for all their 68xx cards?

^ That is kinda what I was thinking too, streamline the production process. They originally had 1 connector, but I think also they may have switched to 2 because the power draw is close to the 6870. Maybe they were seeing an abnormal RMA rate and decided to bump up the juice.

4745454b

Titan
Possible. Stated TDPs are 130 and 151 if I remember right. I don't think measured gaming draws for either are that high however. I can totally see a company putting them all on the same PCB to save costs. Sure the 6870 PCB probably costs more to make then the 6850, but if you are putting three chips on the same one, economies of scale comes into play and the per unit cost is probably lower.

As far as the OPs question, I don't think you have a bad one per se. But to be completely honest I'm not sure whats going on.