Why does newegg.com go up and down 3 times on one processor in a day?

oldfordfreak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
New egg went from 350 to 315 to 325 on the e6850. It is like watching a crowd do the wave. Sometimes you could search and the price would still be 350 also. This really sucks. As i am writing this I am sure that newegg has changed the price again.

-Ricky

liverpoolfc

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2007

Nobody was buying at 350, prices automatically drop to 315. They recieve a large amount of orders, and the price automatically rises to 325.

ben72227

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Yeah I noticed that too. Last night the Q6600 (priced at $299 earlier that day) had gone to 'Auto-Notify'; today the price has jumped up to $320...

Rabidpeanut

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
Same crap with the x2900Xt it went from $400 to $395 to $450(Asus) to $400 then settled at $409 For the rest of the week with variations in the different brands. If you are *really* paying attention when something hits you can save quite a bit.

To ben 72227 DOS ROCKS THE C0CK! Try dosbox for all your old games to run in windows. (even works crusader)

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007
Wow.. this really sux.. and there I was hoping to get a Q6600 for less then 300$ from newegg :(
There are alternatives to newegg in any case and I always buy everything from the same shop, don't they care about about spooking clients away by changing prices all the time?

What a ripoff :??:

Spikke

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
I picked up the 6850 for $315 earlier this morning from Newegg. I know you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but I have always had such good experience with their customer service that I still generally order from them. It's still an awesome deal at $315 anyway. With the high demand products there is always rapid price change at the bigger etailers from what I have seen.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Is it safe to assume you're not familiar with the stock market?

goldragon_70

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007

That's true, I was able to get an E6600 for $199.00 in January. If I had waited a day, I could have gotten it at $189.00.

oldfordfreak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
Hate to sound like a broken record but the website now says 335 for the 6850. And one more thing I think it should be illegal to sale the same product for two different prices at once the same site. There should be actions taken by the people that bought a 6850 this morning while it was being sold for 315 and 350.

-Ricky

dldude

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
I think it's possible that they bumped the Q6600 price up so high to discourage people from buying it, since it's out of stock. Last thing they want is to get a new shipment in, and have it sold out immediately and have to wait even longer for another shipment.

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007

-Lame........

Maybe they are trying to control stocks in this manner. But if they keep it up they might lose a big chunk of thier client base. Nothing is worse then ordering a part and then finding that it's price dropped 60$ in an hour for no apparent reason. Best thing I suppose is to focus on what Intel prices CPU's per 1000 and work from there.

350 - 266 = 84$ or 31.6% on top of wholesale. For a huge Eseller like Newegg (in my opinion) that is an overkill.

I think that the rule is: You get to greedy = you gonna have a bad time :non: :bounce:

adapa

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
The Q6600 is currently $375 on newegg---it was $299 less than 24 hours ago.

suffice to say, I'm holding off a bit on the upgrade

xela

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2007

===> Newegg is on notice!!

Newegg keeps this up = Newegg is Dead To Me :kaola:

thephatp

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2007

I'm quite familiar with the stock market, but there's a big difference....this is NOT the stock market. Prices should not be so volatile for actual products. It ticks me off because I'm working off a really tight budget, and I can't handle the $36 swing for the E6750 since this morning. When I was pricing items this morning, it was $199. Now it's $236. What a load. I guess there is no point dealing with newegg until I'm ready to purchase.

Ok, I'm done venting. :fou:

oldfordfreak

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I think that we should all complain to newegg. I am definately calling tomorrow. I am very disappointed in the company I have bought $700 worth of stuff from.

-Ricky

Synthetickiller

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
So @ 375 bucks, newegg magically got another batch in? They were sold out earlier like you guys said.

I'm sticking w/ my tankguy preorder on the GO stepping.

I did order a p180b case from them and got it today. I lucked out and ordered it a day later than planned. I SHOULD get a 50 dollar rebate. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Back to the Q6600, this whole thing is going to be a mess. When "good deals' rear their ugly head, all **** breaks loose. Reminds me of console releases. Shortages, and other problems.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I'm glad I ordered my processor when I did. My E6750 from Newegg cost $199 when I ordered this morning. I just checked tonight and the price went up to $235. I had to double check to make sure I bought the right processor. Zipzoomfly raised their price too. They were selling for $198 but they're in the $230 range now too. Sweet... just got my UPS tracking number as I was typing this. I was a bit worried they'd cancel my order with some BS excuse so that they could charge me $35 more.

twofoot

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2007
It's B3 stepping. You want G0.

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I would have to say that Newegg has been a bit sketchy for the last six months. I have noticed they've playing around with pricing quit a bit. I am to the point that I am starting to shop elsewhere when it makes sense to do so. If they keep it up I will just stop buying from them altogether simply because of lack of trust anymore.

Kurzi

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hopefully you guys haven't stopped using newegg over those 5-6 years.
All places online did this, and do this. It can happen easiest when new products come out, and when newer products fail to meet standards or what not.
It can also happen based on supply and demand.

-Yes- The price can go from "Out of stock" 299 to "in stock" 375.
But do you know what the original price is for that unit? how much it costed them?
Perhaps They bought a bundle of this unit for 199 a piece, and sold them as a retailer to you for 299$.. They also bought some 250$ a piece bundle, and 275$ a piece bundle.
Yes. they COULD sell all bundles for 299$.
But they need to make profit off of it, and 15$ isn't profit, unless a ridiculous amount of people buy it, and they only have so many.
The "auto-pricing" mentioned, Sees how fast the 299$/199$ are selling, It calculates the approxiate Demand and reprices the current Supply based on that. (or -can- do this). Pricing it at 375$, Which is probably -still- lower than when it initially hit the market on release.

Then you take into consider of unlisted factors.
Well We've got 120 Revision 1.9 X-Units - Price 299$
down to 15 or so: - We just got a shipment in, Same unit ...wait.. no. They've released a new model, its R2.0 (revision 2.0) uhh looks like they moved the YX over to this corner and re-orientated it for easier access... Says we ended up paying 263.75$ EA for these....... *facepalm* Wait a bit after we sell outta R1.9 and we'll put it up for a new price (Makes a price scheduled in the system for 375$ to take affect 2hrs after selling out of R1.9's remaining stock (15))

You don't see what goes on in their inventory.
For all you know. Some newbie didn't pack Customers' boxes and the products came damaged, or, They -started- damaged in the box, or defective.. And Of those items, 200 were Unit-X and they needed to replace several dozen of them with the unit that was 299$.
The price raises, cause they need to make up for the loss, and they aren't a multi-billion(or trillion?) dollar organization like walmart that can afford to sell for such profit differences.

Its also not a storefront, You don't see this kinda thing in storefronts (yes you do) cause its just one store.
You actually do. Its called price ups and mark downs. They can pop up in the system at any time, though typically don't for storefronts. Sometimes dozens of items can change price at the same time, and sometimes 3 times in the same day.
But Newegg is an online site. Yea they got their warehouses where they got em. but the site, services everyone in the states, canada, and I believe, china. When Customers have defects, it affects the unit price on the site, not the store front. When a price change hits their corporate HQ, it hits the site near immediately (if not already wired to hit it instantly)
For instance, someone posted in relation to your complaints. Intel processors's Market prices were purely inFlux during that time, Going all over the board.
The "new" (at the time) 6700 came out, pricing itself at about the 6600's price
And the 6600 ended out with a price drop to about 50% of what it was during its peak of popularity.
as stated initially, New products were coming, and prices fluxed accordingly until people were like "oh, well snap, theres something -new- out"

When this happens as well... The "bundle" price part.
Bought 19 bundles of 6600 for 350-450$ a piece, Been selling them for 500-560$ the whole year.
NEW FROM INTEL! 6700! to replace 6600! =D FASTER HARDER STRONGER BETTER! 470-560$
....Its almost cheaper to buy that from someone else(retail) than it is for us to buy the 6600 in bulk(vendor)..... oh FML (note: they probably vendor'd in relatively the same, 350ish to 430ish)
Now they gotta scramble, and put price tags that make profit and sell as much of the 6600's as they can before everyone else sells theirs for cheaper, They can't return -their- product like you can, and just reorder it for cheaper. Vendors usually will not pay-out full value of purchase to retail/corporate when something new comes out or price change.
In recent, this happened to walmart and bestbuy. HP WebOS Tablet- Priced at the same price as the Galaxy tab, The HP company suddenly said at the revelation of android 3.1 and 3.0's power efficiency and etc, That they could not possibly keep pace with Android, and were pulling the plug on the Tablet. The price dropped from about 400$
to like 50$ For Vendor to Bulk-retail....Stores, Like walmart, Who had been selling it for 379-399.. had to price those units they got for 200-300$, At 100$ to even try and make up for their losses.
They were -not- even allowed to return them for 50$ a piece, let alone the original bulk they paid.
Some people bought the HP Tab and were perfectly fine with it, They spent 300sum dollars on it.
Some of those that spent 300$ Never even heard the Plug had been pulled, until they came back looking for the tablet again, to purchase it for family/friends.