[SOLVED] Why does Rainbow Six Siege Lag When Discord Is being Used?

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi all, I have been using discord whenever i play siege mainly for talking with team mates and friends, my problem is whenever I use discord it causes a drastic fps drop when I move my mouse left to right very fast. Standing still was at 120 fps and drops too 65-55 fps just because discord was running and causing stutters. I have tested the game without discord to make sure and it was perfectly fine with no fps drops. I could not find anything that would help and also tried setting the priority for Rainbow Six Siege to high but did not help or change anything. Every other game works fine with discord except for siege. Is this something wrong with my PC, discord or siege?
Help would be appreciated, thanks
Pc Specs: i5 7400, GTX 1060 3gb, 8gb ram 2400, windows 10 pro, 1TB HDD

Solution
Might as well try hardware acceleration to see what happens and see how severe fps drops are. Might be a coincidence and an over exaggerated warning. Could actually help who knows.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The first core does majority of the work. If you can help it by freeing up resources to do other stuff it should in theory help overall performance. Unless discord has an option regarding hardware acceleration that may be hogging too much cpu.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
There is an actual option on discord that says hardware acceleration but I have always left that off because it clearly says it will cause fps drops, otherwise I will try to only use the last core for discord. Do I still have to set a high priority for siege anyways?

arhamsaif

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
Its Totally because of RAM.
Discord is quite heavy and use alot RAM
So, Try to upgrade RAM or just use in-game voice chat.
Also, there is many other substitutes for Discord like voice chat

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hi what are the other suggestions or ideas besides the affinity?

Firstly, learn about the relation ship between cpu and frame rates by watching this video. Even though it's BF1, same applies for any modern game. It's called frame pre-rendering which your cpu needs to do and this adds toward cpu workload.

---

With Discord disabled, check out your cpu usage using Msi Afterburner while playing Siege. With 4 cores and 8GB ram, i can roughly assume your cpu usage is going to be pretty high like in the video above, maybe not as high because BF1 is more intensive, but close enough for Discord to probably push your usages to nearing maximum where cpus run out of resources and begin to struggle. Check cpu usage with Discord on as well while playing Siege.

The primary cpu core is responsible for a lot. It's running a lot of background services from Windows and games, everything and how efficient it is will affect rest of the cores and overall cpu performance. The idea to move Discord was to help free up primary core (core 0). Can do a lot more with a program like Winaero to temporarily disable services you don't need so the cpu focuses more on the things you want.

Lowering fps is another suggestion and see how it affects your cpu. Msi Afterburner can limit fps if game's don't have an fps limiter.

As i said earlier, more ram would help, at least 16GB nowadays. Windows can already tax roughly 2~3GB. Out of 8GB, that doesn't leave much and there's a lot that goes through ram when playing games and most likely your pagefile on the hdd is being used a lot. This is another advantage for an ssd too, not just for loading levels quicker but much faster pagefile speeds and better stream loading in games.

Also if that 8GB is 1x 8GB you're missing out on doubled bandwidth between cpu and ram. 2x8GB in dual channel helps quite a bit.

---

Disable xbox dvr recording if you're on Win10, this records your game play automatically which'll load up the cpu as well.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
The 8GB of corsair vengence RAM is actually a single stick but I am actually planning to get another so I can have dual channel to make 16GB, I forgot to mention that when I alt tab out of siege and view discord and go back in, then it would cause it to stutter and drop. I dont know if there is some problem when it comes to alt tabbing out of the game or something.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldn't know either. Could be Geforce driver problem or a conflict with fullscreen optimisation? Navigate to six siege directory and locate the game's exe and right click go properties and try disable full screen optimisation.

Full screen optimisation is a blend between borderless and fullscreen. There might be a conflict or video driver problem causing the conflict.

Try reinstall Nvidia drivers but don't use Geforce Experience to install it. Go to Geforce.com/drivers, enter fields and download driver. In the installer is an option for custom install, try doing it that way and tick the clean install box. Once driver is installed i like to restart the pc to make sure Windows is fresh. Reconfigure Nvidia power plans etc as they'll be reset after driver install.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Still could be memory issues though because when you alt tab and do other things, stuff in ram gets reshuffled and so would the pagefile. Does siege go back to normal eventually?

Try discord with hardware acceleration. I would have tried that.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
I have tried running siege without discord and it perfectly runs like it should with no fps drops. Next I have tried with discord by only using the last core which actually worked but siege did not show a high number of fps only around 70-80 rather than 100-130.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi boju, I already have another stick of Ram making it 16gb's. It clearly worked with discord and rainbow six siege working together even with the overlay which normally made it lag and cause fps drops, this does not happen anymore. The only thing that I noticed weirdly is that my pc using 100% cpu usage with siege? Are cpu's not mean't to be at one hundred all the time?

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
Hi boju, I already have another stick of Ram making it 16gb's. It clearly worked with discord and rainbow six siege working together even with the overlay which normally made it lag and cause fps drops, this does not happen anymore. The only thing that I noticed weirdly is that my pc using 100% cpu usage with siege? Are cpu's not mean't to be at one hundred all the time?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well your cpu is doing more now that you have dual channel. 100% cpu usage isn't ideal but if you're not getting stutters then don't worry about it. If you are getting stutters then lower fps output so cpu isn't working as hard pre-rendering.

Even in a game like Siege, quad cpus can show high cpu usages.

matthewraagas87

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
I have set the fps output to a certain frame limit but I still get a majority of input lag when playing siege. Sometimes it drops frames then the mouse starts to stutter when doing so. I have tried to use vsync and change the fps in the config file but does not work?