[SOLVED] Why does system restore fix my sudden gaming issue?

lmm6877

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
I know it's a strange question but I can't figure out what could be causing this issue with my pc. Twice in the past two months it will start playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey super slowly all of a sudden, even though it's played perfectly fine before (for quite awhile), with seemingly no reason or change that I can plainly see.

Then when I do a system restore it will start playing again smoothly and fine. The first time I thought it was a Flash update that caused it, but system restore didn't change the flash version, although restoring fixed the game lag.. This time restoring, it plays the game fine again but Chrome will not open now..

I don't understand what is suddenly changing the performance game wise, or why it affected Chrome this time. ...or why system restore is fixing it for awhile.
Could it be my graphics card? Or is something else dying? Could a psu with wattage that is too low do this? (I'm aware the psu is low but it does work perfectly otherwise) It has also started making a humming noise recently that may or may not be related.. but I just thought maybe it needed cleaning.
Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Dell Inspiron 580s
Core i5, 3.2ghz, 8GB Ram
250 w psu
GPU: Radeon HD 7750 1GB

Solution
If you are going to buy a new PC I would not bother upgrading your PSU; they make them but the quality is an unknown. Rather I would downgrade your video card to something your power supply can handle. It appears the Radeon 6350 or similar were installed by Dell as a discrete card upgrade in the 580s. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3&_nkw=Dell+Inspiron+580s+video+card&_sacat=0

Your Radeon HD 7750 1GB has a TDP of 55W
The HD 6350 has a TDP of 19W
I have a HD 6450 with a TDP of 18W (you can have it for the price of shipping).

BTW, TDP Thermal Design Power is a measurement in wattage of the heat produced by the graphics CPU, not the wattage requirement. However there is a relationship between the amount...
First, there is the issue of a power supply that's 100w less than recommended and the humming noise could very well mean it is failing or being over taxed. You said you thought it needed cleaning; did you clean it?

When you experience the slowing, have you tried shutting down the program, shutting down the PC and then rebooting?

lmm6877

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
First, there is the issue of a power supply that's 100w less than recommended and the humming noise could very well mean it is failing or being over taxed. You said you thought it needed cleaning; did you clean it?

When you experience the slowing, have you tried shutting down the program, shutting down the PC and then rebooting?
I haven't cleaned it yet, no - but plan on doing so asap. I have tried restarting both the game and the PC but it didn't work.

I'm wondering if maybe the humming is the GPU..Today when the game started, it wasn't slow but it had changed resolution somehow...and wouldn't revert to the correct resolution even when changed :/
Changing the settings to medium and then low again and restarting the game seemed to fix it so that was weird.. Does that make it seem like it's my GPU? (I do plan on upgrading the PSU when I can, hopefully sooner rather than later.) Thanks for your help!

When you go to a higher resolution your GPU pulls more power.. I'd would say it's either the PSU (regardless if it's humming or not) or the PSU and something else.

BTW, you PC has integrated graphics. While the Intel HD Graphics may not be capable of higher resolutions, it would allow you to test your PC less the discrete GPU; you will have to remove the card for the integrated graphics to work.

Last edited:

lmm6877

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
When you go to a higher resolution your GPU pulls more power.. I'd would say it's either the PSU (regardless if it's humming or not) or the PSU and something else.

BTW, you PC has integrated graphics. While the Intel HD Graphics may not be capable of higher resolutions, it would allow you to test your PC less the discrete GPU; you will have to remove the card for the integrated graphics to work.
Ahh, I see. So what do I need to look for in a PSU do you know? I know it has to be SFF but what else am I looking for? Do I just need to open it up and look at the connectors and measure it? ..Although I am considering just getting another PC (not slim) to replace that one..perhaps the slim psu is not really worth it. Also - I do have an extra one in an old 560s - could I switch those out and see if it helps? (maybe this one is dying or something?)
Sorry for all the questions, I have done a few things as far as components in my computers but never a psu (yet lol)

If I took out my GPU and used the Integrated for awhile what would I be testing exactly? Seeing as it's mainly a gaming thing that is an issue...(chrome did start working again) I couldn't play ACO with Intel HD could I? Or do you mean test it out on lower settings? (forgive my ignorance maybe I'm just not understanding lol)
Also, any insight on why system restore would fix the problem? Does system restore revert gpu settings? Thanks so much for your help - I really appreciate it :)

If you are going to buy a new PC I would not bother upgrading your PSU; they make them but the quality is an unknown. Rather I would downgrade your video card to something your power supply can handle. It appears the Radeon 6350 or similar were installed by Dell as a discrete card upgrade in the 580s. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...3&_nkw=Dell+Inspiron+580s+video+card&_sacat=0

Your Radeon HD 7750 1GB has a TDP of 55W
The HD 6350 has a TDP of 19W
I have a HD 6450 with a TDP of 18W (you can have it for the price of shipping).

BTW, TDP Thermal Design Power is a measurement in wattage of the heat produced by the graphics CPU, not the wattage requirement. However there is a relationship between the amount of power a CPU is using and the amount of heat being generated. So while a TDP of 19W does not mean a CPU is using 19W of power, it is usually safe to assume, two video cards with similar TDP ratings, require the same amount of wattage, so TDP can be used to compare wattage requirements.

As far as why a reset works, I really don't know for sure. Perhaps a Windows 10 update installs software driver that requires more power from your PSU.

Last edited:
Solution

lmm6877

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2012
Okay, so just an update..
I did go ahead and buy a new PSU and it did not fix the issue, then I ended up buying a "new" pc with a better psu. Pretty sure it's the gpu that's at fault, so looking to remedy that asap.