[SOLVED] Why does the AMD Ryzen 5 2500x seem to be an OEM exclusive

I hace been wondering why AMD doesnt sell the Ryzen 5 2500x to anyone but seemingly oems like dell, ho, and cyber power.

Why does it make sense for them to do this? The 1400 never performed or sold well.

Solution
It makes sense that the OEMs take those, as they're probably within the price range they want to sell most of the PCs and Laptops they have and then retail gets the left over CPUs after AMD fulfills the orders to them.

And that's actually good for AMD, I'd say.

Cheers!
Who say the are not selling to general public ?
https://www.eponuda.com/racunari-procesori-cene/amd-ryzen-5-2500x-procesor-cena-476747
Those are just lower binned 2600X.

Picture aside, would that be a tray processor? Possibly 'gray market' and therefore a bit sketch for warranty support? i.e., you might have to go to the OEM that bought the lot, not AMD.

And isn't a 2600X just a lower binned 2700X? Both having cores disabled... four cores disable for 2500X, two cores disabled for 2600X. I think that's good, though, as it means it's on the 12nm architecture vs. being built on the 14nm architecture of 2400g parts.

My answer to OP is AMD does this for marketing consideration. It's even possible one or more of the OEM's insisted on a 4-core part, sans-iGPU, to support what they want with their product stack.

Last edited:
Picture aside, would that be a tray processor? Possibly 'gray market' and therefore a bit sketch for warranty support? i.e., you might have to go to the OEM that bought the lot, not AMD.

And isn't a 2600X just a lower binned 2700X? Both having cores disabled... four cores disable for 2500X, two cores disabled for 2600X. I think that's good, though, as it means it's on the 12nm architecture vs. being built on the 14nm architecture of 2400g parts.

My answer to OP is AMD does this for marketing consideration. It's even possible one or more of the OEM's insisted on a 4-core part, sans-iGPU, to support what they want with their product stack.
It's sold in legitimate stores in full retail package. Some of those stores are brick and mortar and some online only. Around here, many don't keep stocks bu can be ordered to arrive in 3 -5 days.
2400g isn't really same class and 2500x is to close to 2600(x) so I can see why many stores may be reluctant to offer them.

It seems like it would be kind of a pointless product for anyone building their own system, considering you can get a Ryzen 2600 for around $10 more than a 2400G. If you don't need the integrated graphics, you might as well take a 50% increase in cores. The 2500X might clock slightly higher out of the box, but all Ryzen processors are unlocked for overclocking.

It makes sense that the OEMs take those, as they're probably within the price range they want to sell most of the PCs and Laptops they have and then retail gets the left over CPUs after AMD fulfills the orders to them.

And that's actually good for AMD, I'd say.

Cheers!

Solution
Same reason the Phenom II 960T was limited to OEM and a few regional markets for more than a year before being released globally. It's market segmemtation, and basically it would compete with and nullify some other products that need to be cleared out like the first gen quad Ryzens.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX