Why does the color disappear from videos when I plug in my laptop?

GirlyVetTech

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
I noticed that when my dell inspiron 15 running windows 10 is plugged in recently the colors will disappear from any video I watch. If I unplug, then the color returns instantly. Plug back in, the color disappears instantly. It looks like black and white almost. I tried plugging my laptop into another outlet, but the same thing happened. Please don't say motherboard because I had that replaced by dell about 2 months ago. What is going on? Thank you.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Plugg in what ?? charger Monitor ? I don´t fully understand

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

It could be that the Backlit is causing this problem, do you mean the screen goes Black & white or the Brightnes goes down as you plug the AC charger ??? it Happened to 2 my Old dell Laptops that on the Bios brightness was set to 0% at charging.

GirlyVetTech

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
The area where the video is playing will go from normal colors to very muted grey tones, just in that area. The rest of the page will be the same color wise. Any pictures or text will be the same. Only the video changes. The backlit actually gets brighter when I plug in my ac adapter.

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Ok so it´s clearly nothing to do with the Brightness settings. Could you do a Picture and Upload here ??? thx.

giving a really big shoot, I would guess it´s something to do with your backlid panel, Which exactly laptop do you have ??? Inpiron 15... ?

pepslight

Reputable
Sep 20, 2014

Hi hi, sorry I was busy working, giving the Bios is in Order I would guess there is something messed up on your settings, or in extreme case the backlid is screwed, did you try messing the colors settings by Catalist control center ??? Isn´t the new AMD Pro control center avaiable for your graphic card ???

Kerry_8

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017

Kerry_8

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
Thank you pepslight your suggestion about using the catalyst control center helped me fix my similar problem I was having on my desktop computer.
I went to settings> display > advanced settings> display adapter properties> opened the Catalyst Control center> Video> color> and hit restore defaults. This eliminated the issue I was having where videos would be displayed in greys and restored the color.

MayBet96

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017

THANK YOU! This fixed the issue I've been having with my HP for MONTHS! I like to watch my DVD collection on my laptop, and this was driving me BATTY! None of the other threads I'd read had helped, and I was on the verge of doing a complete restore. You've saved me from such a headache!!!!

NovaX5

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

I've been looking for a fix for this for months, my HP laptop's had the same problem. After all the technical hoo-hah with the graphics cards and driver installations that I'll admit I was too scared to even try in case I end up breaking my £400 laptop, I've finally managed to fix this, thank you SO much!! I honestly made an account here just to thank you :D