[SOLVED] Why does the core voltage of my Ryzen 5 3400g go to 1.45volts if it is not set to auto

Sep 17, 2020
I am building my brother a PC and if the overclocking on the processor is not set to auto its manual default is 1.45. The computer has been blue screening at random intervals. I found the ram was only being run at 2133mhz opposed to the 3200mhz as advertised. I'm attempting to turn off the overclock as the pc has no reason to overclock for its uses and because I think that voltage is way to high seeing what I have read. Is this a normal voltage and do you think it might be causing my problem?

Solution
put offset voltage -0.1...auto mean off...
System Specs are the Ryzen 5 3400g, Asrock B450M pro4, 1650 super, G.skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb ddr4-3200. I was told by a neighbor to look into what speed the ram was running that. He was thinking that the bios might be having the ram run too fast. I will set it back to auto.
Definitely enable XMP to see if your memory will work at 3200. You may have to load in the correct settings yourself.

You might also benefit from updating BIOS as later revs inevitably improve memory support. Leave CPU clock at auto, you might try SLIGHT negative offsets to see if it improves, but 100mV is just as likely to leave a 3400G unstable as anything else.
I am building my brother a PC and if the overclocking on the processor is not set to auto its manual default is 1.45. The computer has been blue screening at random intervals. I found the ram was only being run at 2133mhz opposed to the 3200mhz as advertised. I'm attempting to turn off the overclock as the pc has no reason to overclock for its uses and because I think that voltage is way to high seeing what I have read. Is this a normal voltage and do you think it might be causing my problem?
Enable XMP to see if your RAM will run at rated clocks.

What are your system specs? especially motherboard, cpu, ram. it may be your CPU isn't capable of 3200 clock speed.

And definitely, set CPU clock and Vcore back to auto if you're not really sure what you're doing.

dimtodim

Reputable

Sep 17, 2020
Enable XMP to see if your RAM will run at rated clocks.

What are your system specs? especially motherboard, cpu, ram. it may be your CPU isn't capable of 3200 clock speed.

And definitely, set CPU clock and Vcore back to auto if you're not really sure what you're doing.
System Specs are the Ryzen 5 3400g, Asrock B450M pro4, 1650 super, G.skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb ddr4-3200. I was told by a neighbor to look into what speed the ram was running that. He was thinking that the bios might be having the ram run too fast. I will set it back to auto.

Definitely enable XMP to see if your memory will work at 3200. You may have to load in the correct settings yourself.

You might also benefit from updating BIOS as later revs inevitably improve memory support. Leave CPU clock at auto, you might try SLIGHT negative offsets to see if it improves, but 100mV is just as likely to leave a 3400G unstable as anything else.

Solution
Sep 17, 2020

If I enable XMP 2.0 Profile 1 (the only option I have) It runs at the 3200. However I the Dram Voltage reads 1.35 in red if I change it from auto.

Sep 17, 2020
There should be an offset option in the Vcore voltage setting.

Start with very small negative offsets, like two settings negative. Then test for stability; going to far will make the processor unstable.
Ok I will try that if the pc blue screens again, I'm just doing normal usage right now to see what happens.

1.45 is very high and not good for cpu. Go read something about that. Even amd say that isnt safe voltage. Bye
That's absolutely incorrect. AMD has stated repeatedly that Ryzen processors will raise voltage to 1.45V (up to 1.5V even, in the case of Zen2 CPU's) when boosting and left in AUTO. Those excursions are very short, only during lightly threaded processing. When the processor starts to get hot under heavier sustained load it will lower voltage. How much depends on the FIT values determined for the processor.

What IS dangerous is setting a FIXED voltage that high.

Reactions: kurdtnz and Fiorezy

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
That's absolutely incorrect. AMD has stated repeatedly that Ryzen processors will raise voltage to 1.45V (up to 1.5V even, in the case of Zen2 CPU's) when boosting and left in AUTO. Those excursions are very short, only during lightly threaded processing. When the processor starts to get hot under heavier sustained load it will lower voltage. How much depends on the FIT values determined for the processor.

Exactly this. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

Regarding RAM speed, you have to enable XMP to run it at the advertised speed. 1.35v is perfectly fine.

The blue screen that you were facing was caused by entering a manual voltage which made the CPU not getting enough power to run certain tasks.

dimtodim

Reputable

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R460NL_wdGc

dont listen crazy guys

dimtodim

Reputable
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R460NL_wdGc

Sep 17, 2020
Exactly this. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise.

Regarding RAM speed, you have to enable XMP to run it at the advertised speed. 1.35v is perfectly fine.

The blue screen that you were facing was caused by entering a manual voltage which made the CPU not getting enough power to run certain tasks.
Well I was having blue screening issues before I even went into looking at changing settings in the bios. I only did deafults. I haven't had any BSOD today. But I realise that if I run XMP I am overclocking the ram which is not my intent. I am going to put it back to the default and see what happens.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Well I was having blue screening issues before I even went into looking at changing settings in the bios. I only did deafults. I haven't had any BSOD today. But I realise that if I run XMP I am overclocking the ram which is not my intent. I am going to put it back to the default and see what happens.
It is essential to enable XMP, the advertised speed has been already tested by G Skill and should be perfectly stable, besides, the base speed without XMP is 2133Mhz which is extremely slow especially for Ryzen and also you are not getting what you paid for by disabling XMP.

You would be overclocking the memory controller in the CPU rather than the ram I think. For the 2nd generation Ryzen 2933Mhz is the highest stable frequency unless you are lucky and get a really good one.

Dec 17, 2020
I have same CPU and 3200mhz ddr4(16181838) It won't work, don't bother best you'll get is 1866mhz (1600with 4 sticks) at 16-18-18-38 the ram controller in the cpu tops out at 2933mhz and due to the fact the gpu has 2gb of gpu ram it also is used by that, the 2900 isn't per stick either it's divided amoungst the sticks. Go into your UEFI and manually set the timings and voltage of the ram. If you have 2 sticks you"ll be able to get 1866mhz. I have 64gb of ram so i have 4 Dimms (for vmware)but for gaming i bench higher with only 32gb. I also don't have a gpu. I've had it technically running st 2133mhz but the timing of the ram is way higher than needed and it doesn't perform as well and when you run a actual bench it's only running at 933mhg per stick (have 4) so i get 1866mhz per channel but that's then halves due to the controller