[SOLVED] Why does the performance of my computer decrease when it's at my home?

Oct 22, 2019
Hello,
I have been struggling with bad FPS on my new and expensive computer for soon to be a year. The FPS i have in games like dota (70-110fps during "low stress" moments) and Blackdesert online(60 fps on medium) does not reflect the expected performance.
I have tried countless possible solutions and non give me even a little result.
I have tried everything from the basics of reinstalling OS/drivers, troubleshooting software's, benchmarks, Bios configurations, windows configurations etc etc..

As the title hints, the problem seem to "Local"(Maybe "dirty power" in my house? Maybe bad connection to internet? I just don't know).
I bought the computer from a trusted computer store in Sweden called Komplett. I have sent it back for repairs 2 times, and both of the times they do not recognize any problem. They have even sent me video proof that they indeed have better performance at their repair shop(150-160 fps in Dota during "high stress" moments ).
I also want to add that out of the box from the repair shop where it worked fine. I only installed steam and tried Dota, no other applications or added disks that can potentially cause problems.

At this point i am out of options and therefore i turn to this community as my last resort.

Please help !

these are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 DUAL EVO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 4x8GB DDR4 2666MHz
Storage: Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB M.2 SSD
Powersupply: Corsair 750W PSU 80 PLUS Gold

Solution
Because there is still a problem at lower resolutions I don't have any suggestions. The fact that you get the same problem with a separate monitor is concerning. I'm not well versed in technical issues. I see why you're asking here.

Before you try moving the computer to a different house I would try plugging in the computer to a different power outlet in the same house. Make sure that it's on a different line or breaker switch.
Oct 22, 2019
Thanks for the response Saga Lout!

Honestly i do not know, I will try dota in offline mode and get back to you. But how can the internet connectivity affect the fps ? ( i use the steam built-in fps function to view the fps, can that be it ?)
What i do know is that benchmarking test seem to indicate good values in my opinion, but i can be wrong... Please have a look and tell me what you think. ( View: https://imgur.com/a/39kIOoA
)

Oct 22, 2019
Does it behave better when you are offline?
Hello again, Playing against bots gives me better results. Playing vs bots in offline mode and in online mode gives me same result though. Very strange i don't understand this at all. My connections speed is 100/10 so shouldn't be a problem in games like dota...

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
Hello,
I have been struggling with bad FPS on my new and expensive computer for soon to be a year. The FPS i have in games like dota (50-90fps during "low stress" moments, noticable lagg) and Blackdesert online(60 fps on medium) does not reflect the expected performance.
I have tried countless possible solutions and non give me even a little result.
I have tried everything from the basics of reinstalling OS/drivers, troubleshooting software's, benchmarks, Bios configurations, windows configurations etc etc..

As the title hints, the problem seem to "Local"(Maybe "dirty power" in my house? Maybe bad connection to internet? I just don't know).
I bought the computer from a trusted computer store in Sweden called Komplett. I have sent it back for repairs 2 times, and both of the times they do not recognize any problem. They have even sent me video proof that they indeed have better performance at their repair shop(150-160 fps in Dota during "high stress" moments ).
I also want to add that out of the box from the repair shop where it worked fine. I only installed steam and tried Dota, no other applications or added disks that can potentially cause problems.

At this point i am out of options and therefore i turn to this community as my last resort.

Please help !

these are my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 DUAL EVO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 4x8GB DDR4 2666MHz
Storage: Corsair Force Series MP510 960GB M.2 SSD
Powersupply: Corsair 750W PSU 80 PLUS Gold

Oct 22, 2019
what the monitor?

cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
malware scan?
Thanks for the respons!
Samsung 49" QLED Curved Ultra Wide C49HG

I'v tried some firmware update but unsure if i did it correctly..

They have tried on a screen with 1440p@165hz, and get 150-160 fps, for 3 hours so can it really be the screen in that case ?

Temps are normal, around 70 celius.

Since i have reinstall the computer, even removed the partitions completely, there shouldnt be any malware.
And if there were, they should also get the same problem at their repair shop.

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
I noticed that you gave the name of the monitor but not the specifications. I copied these three lines from the best source I found for details about your monitor.
https://www.komplett.dk/product/943...led-curved-ultra-wide-c49hg#technical-details

3840x1080 VA, 144hz, 1ms, FreeSync, HDR, 1800R, 2xHDMI/DP

2 x HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini Display Port, Hovedtelefoner
2 x USB 3.0, USB 3.0 upstream, Audio line-ind

So the store ran the game at 2560x1440 165Hz and got 150 fps. You ran the game at 3840x1080 144Hz and got 90 fps at best. Your screen has 460,800 more pixels than theirs but at a lower refresh rate.

1. What did the store use to connect the computer to the monitor? Was it HDMI or DisplayPort or something else? How does this compare to how you have your monitor connected? Be specific.

2. What is your game set to run at? Specifically, what resolution is the game set to render at in the settings and is there any in-game (or .ini file) setting for maximum fps?

3. What is your computer set to run at? What resolution is it set to on the desktop and what fps do you get?

4. Can you try to mimic how the computer would run if rendering DOTA2 at 2560x1440 resolution? I'm not familiar with DOTA2 but you should be able to set your in-game resolution to this.

5. In Steam are you signed up to run beta versions of Steam? There was a situation years ago where a new game release ran poorly for people who were signed up to try early versions of Steam. I don't mean beta versions of DOTA2 but of Steam itself.

6. Do you know the exact procedures that the store used to get their results? Did their monitor also have FreeSync or an equivalent?

Assuming that the store is being honest and assuming that there is no problem with the machine I believe that your problem comes from doing something different than what the store did. If the problem isn't your monitor then I hope these questions could help shed some light on the situation.

As a last ditch effort you could also contact Samsung. It's an ultra-wide, QLED, almost 4K, super high refresh rate monitor. This thing is new and has a bunch of new things in it. Samsung might have their own troubleshooting process you could try.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019
I noticed that you gave the name of the monitor but not the specifications. I copied these three lines from the best source I found for details about your monitor.
https://www.komplett.dk/product/943...led-curved-ultra-wide-c49hg#technical-details

3840x1080 VA, 144hz, 1ms, FreeSync, HDR, 1800R, 2xHDMI/DP

2 x HDMI, DisplayPort, Mini Display Port, Hovedtelefoner
2 x USB 3.0, USB 3.0 upstream, Audio line-ind

So the store ran the game at 2560x1440 165Hz and got 150 fps. You ran the game at 3840x1080 144Hz and got 90 fps at best. Your screen has 460,800 more pixels than theirs but at a lower refresh rate.

1. What did the store use to connect the computer to the monitor? Was it HDMI or DisplayPort or something else? How does this compare to how you have your monitor connected? Be specific.

2. What is your game set to run at? Specifically, what resolution is the game set to render at in the settings and is there any in-game (or .ini file) setting for maximum fps?

3. What is your computer set to run at? What resolution is it set to on the desktop and what fps do you get?

4. Can you try to mimic how the computer would run if rendering DOTA2 at 2560x1440 resolution? I'm not familiar with DOTA2 but you should be able to set your in-game resolution to this.

5. In Steam are you signed up to run beta versions of Steam? There was a situation years ago where a new game release ran poorly for people who were signed up to try early versions of Steam. I don't mean beta versions of DOTA2 but of Steam itself.

6. Do you know the exact procedures that the store used to get their results? Did their monitor also have FreeSync or an equivalent?

Assuming that the store is being honest and assuming that there is no problem with the machine I believe that your problem comes from doing something different than what the store did. If the problem isn't your monitor then I hope these questions could help shed some light on the situation.

As a last ditch effort you could also contact Samsung. It's an ultra-wide, QLED, almost 4K, super high refresh rate monitor. This thing is new and has a bunch of new things in it. Samsung might have their own troubleshooting process you could try.
Hi herbert and thanks for taking your time to respond!
It seems that i need to be more specific. To begin with, the problem is in the frequency of irregular FPS. My average fps i would say is around 90 but goes as low as an average of 50 (Noticeable lag so i would say it dips to 1 fps for a split second ) but peeks at around 140 average fps. Komplett claims they never see below 150 (But i assume they can see somewhat below, but never below 100 at least).
The monitor you linked is the correct one, but the problem remains at even lower resolution and graphic settings (irregular fps).
The resolution on my the desktop is the same as the monitors 3840x1080.
I am using display port and have tried HDMI with no noticeable difference regarding the irregularity.
Regarding in game settings for FPS, there is one, and it goes up to 240 fps, which i have set it to.
Regarding FreeSync i do not know what they used.
Regarding steam beta, i will try to find out if that has anything to do with this (doubt it)
It was a good tip to contact Samsung. I will do that and see what they say.
But it really shouldn't be the monitor since i experience the same issue with a different older monitor i have.
It feels like the only thing left that i haven't tried yet is to move the computer to a different house with different electricity and internet connection (sounds strange i know)

HerbertSherbet

Reputable
Nov 6, 2019
Because there is still a problem at lower resolutions I don't have any suggestions. The fact that you get the same problem with a separate monitor is concerning. I'm not well versed in technical issues. I see why you're asking here.

Before you try moving the computer to a different house I would try plugging in the computer to a different power outlet in the same house. Make sure that it's on a different line or breaker switch.

Reactions: Lonay
Solution
Oct 22, 2019

I will try the changing of power outlet and see if it might help but my bet is on that 100/10 connection that i have. Even though i don't really have a technical explanation to why that would work, at this point it's all based on gut feeling...

Thank you for the effort Herbert, much appreciated.

Reactions: HerbertSherbet