Why does TP-link PCIe wireless adapter signal degrade over time

anon2424

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013
Hey guys. I recently upgraded my PC to a new wireless adapter card http://

Unfortunately I do not have the option of ethernet so wireless is the only way to go for my build.

Everything was working great with the new card - I went from average of 2-3 bars (2 usually) up to 4-5 (4 mostly) and my speeds showed a marked improvement. I don't have the fastest internet but the 300-500 kb/s average download speeds worked just fine for me.

However, about 4 days ago I noticed that my speeds drastically fell after over a month with the new build. I contacted my ISP and nothing on their end. All other devices in the house are okay. I started monitoring the signal strength of my wireless card and it is average again the 2-3 bars of the old card. Checking on my router, I see my PC listed as only 11000-18000 kbps whereas ipads etc. were clocking in at 54000.

We have not moved the router at all, and on my PC at least, ALL nearby wireless connection signals have degraded in strength. I've pulled out the card and reseated it in the PCIe slot, made sure antennae are screwed in tight, and even updated the driver multiple times. I also scanned for viruses and malware, but that shouldn't affect the listed signal strengths. I've also changed channels on my router to no avail and to be honest this would only affect my own router, it wouldn't explain the signal loss on others.

What could be causing this signal loss? Would really appreciate it because I really can't stand the slow speeds - downloading a 1 mb file is taking way too long!

anon2424

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

thanks for the reply but I have already updated to latest drivers and tried changing to less used channel. It does not help. If it makes a difference, I usually pull up a list of 15-20 wifi points. I am currently getting less than 5.

check the orientation of the antennae on your router if the are external, make sure they are standing upright, if it has no external antennae then stand the router on its side as this will orientate the internal antennae vertically, use the stand that came with it if it has one.

anon2424

Honorable
Sep 16, 2013

Hi casey, the ipad we keep in the kitchen which is 2 floors away from the router. It's reading as 54mbps on the router. My pc is only 1 floor below the router and is at 10-18.

ChernobylBob

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
My wireless N Gigabyte router loses signal power over time too. About once a month it degrades to a point where the signal drops out constantly. I reset the router (small button on back) and that gives me a strong signal back.

Weird.