[SOLVED] Why does using a ps4 controller and mouse at the same time make the screen stutter?

iNVERTEDpLAZMA

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
So i know this sounds weird, but it's actually pretty sweet if it didn't stutter.
I hold my ps4 controller in my left hand. I use all the L buttons and the big center button for movement and other things. I use my mouse in my right hand for looking and a bunch of other things.
I find that when I move with WADS and look with the mouse, it's smooth as expected.
When I move with the gamepad, but look with the mouse, things get weird.
the L stick should only be mapped to movement not looking direction, yet the screen shakes like the two different controls are fighting each other or something.

Also, in No Man's Sky, if I hold L2 down to activate the scan mode, I press R2 to scan it. It's a "hold it and it's just ON while you hold" kind of action. instead I can click with the mouse but if I use both L2 and mouse click then the mouse click activates like a rapid fire on/off/on/off.

Any idea what's causing this odd behavior?

I'm using a ps4 controller, windows 10, steam games like NMS, portal, mass effect, etc.
I've got a weak video card right now. only 2gb vram. upgrades pending, so i play in 720p with low settings.

I've recorded a video.
the first part of the video i'm moving around with only keyboard/mouse, then I stop and switch to gamepad + mouse. then i go back to wads/mouse again for a second there at the end.

I've edited the video in youtube to trim the fat but who knows how long that'll take
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Jprnl59Hc

Solution
Using two different inputs not designed to be used together will cause odd things to happen. See how this setup works on another system. Why not just use a mouse with more buttons and use the mouse buttons instead of the controller?

iNVERTEDpLAZMA

Reputable
Apr 22, 2020
Using two different inputs not designed to be used together will cause odd things to happen. See how this setup works on another system. Why not just use a mouse with more buttons and use the mouse buttons instead of the controller?
Woah I just had a thought, is there a mouse that has an analog stick on the side?
That question is kind of the answer to your question. I really like the analog stick and trigger buttons for movement and such.