Why does vsync cap my fps?

Extasis

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013
Hi, i just bought the gigabyte geforce gtx 770 4gb oc version. And to that i batman arkham origins, splintercell blacklist and assassin's creed black flag. I can play obth batman and splintercell on the higest settings with vsync on and i get a steady 60fps all the time. But when i play assasin's creed i only get 30fps with the higest settings with vsync on. But as soon as i remove it i get insantly a fps between 45-60. Why is that? My gpu frequency is only at 45% with vsync on while vsync is of i get around 60-75%. I feel like i should get so much more with vsync on. Can i bypass the vsync problem somehow, so i can have it enabled.? i want it enabled but the 30 fps cap just ruins the whole game...

Solution
Vsync limits your framerate to your monitor, making it more stable. If you want more FPS leave it off always, if you want to stable leave it on. Thats what its for.

Extasis

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

I understand that but why is it only stable at 30fps? What is the actual issue? My grapichs card? Monitor?

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I think maybe you dont understand how vsync works. What Gam3r01 stated is right. Your card seems to be stable at 30 fps with the "the highest settings". Did you try reducing your video quality to see if it improves to a higher stable rate? That might allow your stable average to be higher. I don't play that game, but that's what would make sense to me.

TRENDING THREADS