Question Why Does windows keep freezing on startup with my new CPU?

Sep 15, 2019
I recently bought myself an i9 9900k CPU and installed it the same way I have with various CPUs before. However, upon doing so windows (10) would start up and freeze at "Preparing automatic repair". After trying multiple times and failing, I removed the 9900k and replaced it with my 8700k I used prior and it continued to work fine. Does anyone know what I should do? FYI my PC building knowledge is pretty much limited to putting Lego bricks together.

My Specs.
MOBO - ASUS Maximus Hero X
CPU - I9 9900k unlocked, 3.6GHZ, 16MB cache
CPU cooling - NZXT Kraken X62
RAM - 4x 16gb Corsair Dominator DDR4
GPU - EVGA RTX 2080Ti Ultra FTW3

D

Deleted member 14196

You need to make a bootable windows 10 USB and replace your CPU and boot up with that USB stick and install windows

D

Deleted member 14196

No worries it’s not a dumb question. There’s really no such thing as dumb questions. We all start somewhere

Sep 15, 2019
No worries it’s not a dumb question. There’s really no such thing as dumb questions. We all start somewhere
Hey sorry to bother you again, I'm at the BIOS with a Windows 10 boot drive plugged in. Went into the boot subsection and saw two options.
  1. UEFI: 1100, Partition 1
  2. 1100
I've tried both of these and none of them work. When trying the 1100 option the windows logo shows up with the loading circle but after a few seconds, it froze again. FYI I do have secure boot disabled with OS Type set to Windows UEFI mode.
Yet it still freezes, any ideas?

Wait, hold up. When you installed the 9900k did you reset the bios to defaults? Does the board support legacy boot? If it does and you reset the bios after installing the new CPU you need to set it back to boot UEFI because Windows 10 was very likely installed while the bios was set to UEFI.