Why does XP show SATA drive as SCSI?

I've recently installed a SATA drive off a SIIG SATA/PCI controller. XP
Home identifies both devices as SCSI. The HD is running in Ultra Mode
5. Since I have no previous experience with SCSI, I wonder if there is
anything I should look out for. I intend to partition it in NTFS. (My
mobo is Asus, with VIA chipset.)

Moggy wrote:

> I've recently installed a SATA drive off a SIIG SATA/PCI controller. XP
> Home identifies both devices as SCSI. The HD is running in Ultra Mode
> 5. Since I have no previous experience with SCSI, I wonder if there is
> anything I should look out for. I intend to partition it in NTFS. (My
> mobo is Asus, with VIA chipset.)

The controller identifies itself to the OS as a SCSI controller, which is
normal. Don't worry.
--
Cheers, Bob

This would also happen if you had a normal IDE Controller card or RAID
controller card that were PCI cards. This is just the way XP reports
these devices. I wanted this changed in SP2, but it didn't happen :(

-----
Nathan McNulty