[SOLVED] Why does YouTube crash my DNS?

JesiGash

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
I posted this here because some people I've talked to think it could be graphics card related but htis post might be more suited to a networking forum. I don't know for sure

I have an issue where watching a YouTube video will crash my DNS. I thought it might just be a Chrome-related issue but it happens on Opera as well.

I will start a YouTube video and my internet will cut out at random points. I don't have any issue with any other streaming service and can watch videos at 1080p just fine. It's only YouTube that I seem to have an issue with.

I have a custom-built PC from DigitalStorm

Windows 10 64bit OS
MSI PCMate MoBo
Nvidia GTX1070
64gb ram from Corsair
2 solid-state drives
2 HDD
and a 750w PSU from Corsair

I have a NetGear modem and a Netgear wireless router which are a bit dated but work just fine for literally everything else from gaming to uploading videos to streaming from NetFlix, DisneyPlus, FandangoNow, Vimeo, Twitch, etc.

For whatever reason, Youtube is the only place where I notice the problem. I use the built-in troubleshooter to reset the DNS when it crashes. While the issue is most prevalent in the early parts of the video and then mostly works after I run the troubleshooter, I have had multiple crashes on a single video. Crashes can happen seconds apart or beginning and end of the video.

I have tried:

Reinstalling Chrome
Turning off Hardware acceleration on Chrome
Reinstalling all video drivers
Reinstalling updates and drivers for my NetGear devices
Reinstalling ram drivers
defragmenting and using disk cleanup on my drives

I am not sure what else I can do. As I said, it's only YouTube that seems to have that issue and I can't think of why YouTube would cause it to happen but no other streaming service.

Any help and advice are much appreciated.

Solution
You could always change your DNS to something more suited for youtube, like Google's Public DNS and probably noticeably faster.

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.
  4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  5. Select the...
Nov 9, 2020
You could always change your DNS to something more suited for youtube, like Google's Public DNS and probably noticeably faster.

1. Go to the Control Panel.
  2. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
  3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    • To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.
    • To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.
  4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  5. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.
  6. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
  7. Click OK.
  8. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
  9. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers:
    • For IPv4: 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4.
    • For IPv6: 2001:4860:4860::8888 and/or 2001:4860:4860::8844.
    • For IPv6-only: you can use Google Public DNS64 instead of the IPv6 addresses in the previous point.
  10. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Test your new settings.
  11. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS