[SOLVED] Why doesn’t my system shut down when I click shut down from windows 10.

May 24, 2019
Hi everyone,
Whenever I hold down the power button on my pc case the system shuts down but whenever I click the shut down button in windows the display turns off and says the system is off but everything still lights up with fans spinning. Same goes for restart. I have tried:
Disabling fast start up
Resetting cmos
Disabling and reenabling hibernation
Unplugging and replugging in the front I/O connenctors

specs:
I7 9700k
Msi z390 a pro
Msi rtx 2070 super
Cooler master 550W 80+ bronze psu
256gb ssd with windows 10 home 64 bit
1TB hdd
2x8gb g skill ripjaws 3200MHz

Last edited:
Solution
How full is that 256 GB SSD?

PSU: age, condition? 550 watts likely low and the PSU may be starting to falter....

Check update history for possible failed updates or other issues. Updates can be wrong, misconfigured, buggy or corrupted.....

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or even informational events logged after a known shutdown time and within that 5 minute span before actual shutdown.

Event Viewer may also be capturing similar information - Event Viewer is not as "User Friendly" as Reliability History but take a look anyway.

Remember that you can "right-click" on any given entry within either Reliability History or Event Viewer to get more details.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

How long are you waiting?

Could be that Windows is finishing up some updates.

If you prematurely turn off the power via a hard switch you may be causing file corruption and making things worse.

May 24, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

How long are you waiting?

Could be that Windows is finishing up some updates.

If you prematurely turn off the power via a hard switch you may be causing file corruption and making things worse.
Just updated my post.
I’ve made sure that my pc is completely updated so it’s not that.
It takes about 5 minutes to fully shut down.
When I click restart it doesn’t restart at all.

Ralston18

Titan

PSU: age, condition? 550 watts likely low and the PSU may be starting to falter....

Check update history for possible failed updates or other issues. Updates can be wrong, misconfigured, buggy or corrupted.....

Look in Reliability History for error codes, warnings, or even informational events logged after a known shutdown time and within that 5 minute span before actual shutdown.

Event Viewer may also be capturing similar information - Event Viewer is not as "User Friendly" as Reliability History but take a look anyway.

Remember that you can "right-click" on any given entry within either Reliability History or Event Viewer to get more details.

Solution

Selynelar

Honorable
Feb 19, 2019
There are options in the power settings in windows. Check if the action buttons set to correctly. For example Shut down button show shut down and not hibernate action. And also you can turn off fast boot in the other power settings. Might be because when the fast boot is on in windows basically that it does not shut down your windows totally it just put your system in standby. Give a try. It might help.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

May 24, 2019
There are options in the power settings in windows. Check if the action buttons set to correctly. For example Shut down button show shut down and not hibernate action. And also you can turn off fast boot in the other power settings. Might be because when the fast boot is on in windows basically that it does not shut down your windows totally it just put your system in standby. Give a try. It might help.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup
I did already do that stuff as stated in my original post but thank you anyway.

May 24, 2019

Ssd has about 100gb free and the psu is less than a year old ://. I have been worried that 550w is too low though. I will have a look through what you’ve said and come back.