[SOLVED] Why doesn't 5.1 sound work properly on PC ?

mrjaswatt

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2012
G'day. I received my Logitech z607 today, and have spent close to 6 or 7 hours trying to work out why my pc wont pick it up properly.
My rig is:
Win10
I5 9400f 2.9gh
Prime b360m-k (mobo)
rtx 2060
16gb Ram.
Acer 144hz monitor
Logitech z607.

So what I have done, was set it all up, plugged the 3.5 jack into the middle(pink) jack in the back of my pc (this is where I had my z506 plugged in and it was all a-ok), but it only recognized the front 2 speakers, no bass, rear or front middle speaker.
I have all the newest updates as of earlier today, so I can't really see this being the issue.

I plugged it into my TV and played some xbox and it sounded like it was running just the way it should. I had done a brief chat with a fella from Microsoft who said after 10 minutes of his efforts that I should contact Logitech(I think he was just trying to handball me to somebody else).

Now when I plug the 3.5mm jack in, a popup appears asking if it is a front speaker or headphones. I can't select anything else.
If I go to sounds, playback and then configure the speaker, I can select Stereo, Quadphonic, 5.1 and/or 7.1. If I select 5.1 and test it, only the front left and front right speakers sound when the chime plays, I can see on the display when the thingy(?) appears when the channel is being tested that the others are being tested, but no chime sound.

If I go to Youtube and play a 5.1 test all speakers work, but not the way they should. When the front left channel plays, it's through both front and rear left, and when you play the front right channel, it's through both front and rear right channel, if you play the centre channel it plays through both fronts and both rights, when you play the rear speakers, they play both the front and rear of the corresponding side.

It's not the speaker system, as sound comes out of all speakers, so there can't be a broken speaker.
I have tried to plug it into my monitor, but that was not a success either..
I am absolutely baffled with this..
ANY help would be greatly appreciated!!

Solution
Did you read your motherboard manual to see if the audio jacks are configurable for surround sound?
That SPIDIF to analog adapter won't work for you at all, your motherboard does not have an optical output to connect it to. You would need an actual sound card either USB or PCIe.
his speakers has option to use normal 3 cable 5.1 channel analog
but hes for some odd reason stickin with single cable, with his current pc sound outputs only stereo will work this way

How can I use the Daughter card if it doesn't have 3.5mm jacks ?
with 3.5mm to rca adapter or rca to rca cable (70+ ohm coax)

anyway this would be cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100665-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B001V5VCNM
u need 2 more of those...
Did you read your motherboard manual to see if the audio jacks are configurable for surround sound?
That SPIDIF to analog adapter won't work for you at all, your motherboard does not have an optical output to connect it to. You would need an actual sound card either USB or PCIe.

his speakers has option to use normal 3 cable 5.1 channel analog
but hes for some odd reason stickin with single cable, with his current pc sound outputs only stereo will work this way

How can I use the Daughter card if it doesn't have 3.5mm jacks ?
with 3.5mm to rca adapter or rca to rca cable (70+ ohm coax)

anyway this would be cheaper
https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-100665-3-5mm-Stereo-Cable/dp/B001V5VCNM
u need 2 more of those for 5.1

Solution